5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Finally got a video! Help diagnose problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Default Finally got a video! Help diagnose problem...

Okay, so if you have read my previous post I did a head swap. Had an oil leak due to a torn hose on the intake. Now I have the car running and stays that way, but I have a screeching noise and some white smoke. It seems to be getting better. I think it is due to the oil leak I had earlier that leaked on the exhaust pipes. Any help would be great with that noise though.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&emb=0&aq=f#
Old 11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

thats a tough one, i havent heard it before but havent been around these things my whole life either. since its intermitten screeching im going to assume its somewhere in your rotatating assembly or serpentine. so chack its not anywhere on the pullies or anything rubbing. next listen close to the valve covers. it sounds nothing like a valve(they tick or clack) those are the obvious and easy places to check. others may have a better idea what the noise is.

as for the smoke i'd ignor it unless it persists longer than a few minutes. if you drop oil or coolant it will burn for a few minutes until its completely gone.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

also whats your set-up. walk me through....really basic explanation/overview of what you guys did and are trying to accomplish. basic top end tear down rebuild right?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Okay, so now the car has the screeching noise only on acceleration or rev. Also, the engine is overheating. It has the correct level of coolant and oil. Maybe the thermostat? That doesn't explain the noise though. As for the gas pedal, it's like 1/2 an inch away from the floor. I guess I have to adjust the throttle cable, but the pedal just seems so low to the floor. I guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you got some oil or coolant on the serp. belt..Just get some silicone spray for the belt NOT BELT DRESSING.And the throttle cable is non adjustable.And you might have some air still trap in the coolant passage's causing the overheating problem,just make sure the thermostat is opening and let the car cool then recheck the coolant.

Last edited by cammedlx; 11-25-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sounds like what my 98 sixer sounds like sometimes. I think it is the throw out bearing on mine but then again I don't because sometimes it does it with the clutch in and sometimes it doesn't. Possibly a screwed up pilot bearing?

Did you burp your coolings system? It will appear to have the correct level of fluid but it will have an air pocket in it causing the temp gauge to sky rocket do to steam.

When you push your pedal all the way down does the throttle body open all the way?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

take the belt off and run the car

if the noise goes away, then spray a little penetrating oil on pullies with rust on them and re-check, if noise is still there, remove the belt, and rotate the alternator and waterpump pullies, spin them, usually the water pump and or alternator makes that noise.

Now, also check the fluid levels on the power steering pump and coolant, as one may be starved for fluid.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

You don't want to get oil of anytype on the belt or the pullies..If anything use a scotchbrite and 100% silicone spray..
Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

Kinda sounds like a water pump failing or a pully

Quick Reply: Finally got a video! Help diagnose problem...