5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for help spening some money

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
steelcowboy

Default Looking for help spening some money

I have a 1989 that started life as 4cyl auto and I am working on I've already redone the entire suspension and striped out all the interior to convert it to black. I just reenlisted in the Army for another 5 years. And got a 14000 bonus. I'm looking at a 347 from T&L thats got all forged internals and a solid cam as a full drop in . Quoted for 7000 delivered to the house supposed to have 500 bhp/ 500tq. So now I'm looking for a transmission. Radiator rear end etc. And anything else I will need I'm wondering if some of ya'll can help me out with some advice experiances etc so I can make sure I order everything I need right the first time. I'm presently deployed so if I ask any questions about the car that seems silly its because I'm no where near the car to visualize it.

Last edited by steelcowboy; 11-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

IMO if you wanna do it once and do it right get a TKO600 or 500 tranny. they sell kits that is tranny, bell housing, slip yoke, shifter and sometime with the tko600 you can get a clutch too since the spline count will be 26 instead of 10.

with this tranny you wont have to worry about blowing it up anytime soon. i recently had to rebuild my t5 and mustangsneverdie destroyd his tranny on a pretty much stock fox. they arent very strong trannys unless you buy them upgrade already with beefed up internals.

as for your rear end, a nice 8.8 rear is all you need. you dont need a 9". 31 spline on a LSD if you're gonna drive on the street, full race spool if you are going to trailer it to the track. and gears to match yoru tire set up. manual on 26in tire 3.73's or 4.10s on a 28inch tire.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

well what kind of tranny are you looking at auto or manual? make SURE you drop that 7.5 rear end that came in that car and swap in a 8.8, put some taller gears in it as well, or if you want new like the motor, check out 50resto.com they have alot of stuff including complete rear diffs. what suspension did you put on? one of the best way to drop weight on a car is drop that stock k-member and get a tubular one, not only does it drop weight, but it gives you ALOT of clearance
Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

+1 to what was said above. make sure you beef your suspension if you're gonna have a powerplant like your're talkin about. you gotta have a good base or you'll only be spinning your tires. i have a pretty kick *** set up for drag if you're doin drag only for the most part.

what kind of events are you going to with this car? drag? autoX? DD?

also for your radiator i'd go with a dual row aluminum rad from summit or ebay, cheap and extremely effective.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
steelcowboy

I am looking at a 8.8 out of Ga that I can get for 400 shipped. Now its the 4 link style one. I can't look under my car right now obviously but is that a straight swap into mine. I'm thinkign about a locker and 3.73's. I was looking at the tubular K member. I was looking at the tko but man 3 g's to swap one in and on top of that I have to cut the floor out I'm told. So I was looking more towards a built up t-5 seems like alot better money. And less instalation hastle.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

cut the floor? who told you that man? i swapped a tko 600 into my 83. believe me it is WELL worth the money to grab one instead of the t-5 a powerhouse like that will snap one. i killed a t-5 with my 331...... and if you go that route grab a gooood clutch i have a spec stage 3 in mine and i will never buy another brand i like this spec
Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
steelcowboy

Actually the guy at the trans place told me I'd have to make the cuts. I was looking at a tko 500 E is has a 26 spline as well its the one in the middle between the 500 and the 600.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steelcowboy
I have a 1989 that started life as 4cyl auto and I am working on I've already redone the entire suspension and striped out all the interior to convert it to black. I just reenlisted in the Army for another 5 years. And got a 14000 bonus. I'm looking at a 347 from T&L thats got all forged internals and a solid cam as a full drop in . Quoted for 7000 delivered to the house supposed to have 500 bhp/ 500tq. So now I'm looking for a transmission. Radiator rear end etc. And anything else I will need I'm wondering if some of ya'll can help me out with some advice experiances etc so I can make sure I order everything I need right the first time. I'm presently deployed so if I ask any questions about the car that seems silly its because I'm no where near the car to visualize it.
In the 14000 dollar range I would buy a Ford Motorsports Boss 347. It's rated for 450 hp at 6000 rpm using a 650 cfm Holley. We took one (one of the first) set it up on the dyno and it made 505hp at 6500 rpm using a 750 Street HP carb. It's a lot of engine for the money. First it had the new Boss block which is a really nice peice within itself, has a nice set of heads, behive valve springs, roller rockers and just a host of great parts. It would be tough to build that engine for the money that it cost in parts alone. Then I would hang a PA C4 on it witha 3000 stall and an 8.8 rear with 3:73s. You'd have money left over for carb, headers and exhaust and a few other small items. It would make a killer street cruiser.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
steelcowboy

oh yeah sorry I almost forgot. Its supposed to have KYB suspension with Einbach 2" lowering springs subframe connectors etc. A little back history I the car is actually in Canada and I paid a guy who was supposed to build the car gave him 15000 and all I got is some parts and a whole lot of heartache. I have not SEEN the car since 2004. I live in La now but I've been deployed most of the last 6 years so. I'm having it trucked to La so I can try and get it doen before I PCS to Fort Hood Tx.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steelcowboy
Actually the guy at the trans place told me I'd have to make the cuts. I was looking at a tko 500 E is has a 26 spline as well its the one in the middle between the 500 and the 600.
man that guy was lying to you. prolly just wanted you to bring it to him so he could put it in and get money for the easy swap. cause the shifter comes out right at the same spot as the t-5 would. i put my tko in my 88 first, then pulled out my whole driveline and sold the car to buy my 83. i have never had to make any cuts to my cars to fit a tko in

Quick Reply: Looking for help spening some money