5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whats better-C4 or T5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 AM
ford91mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Whats better-C4 or T5?

my AOD is shot so i am planning on converting to either a t-5 or C4. if i get a c4, i will most likely buy it from redneck performance (comes with t-brake and custom stall) that costs about $1300. if i get a t-5 i will most likely buy one from american powertrain. which one would u recommend?
i drive my car only in the summer and like to race it occasionally. i have gt 40 heads, e cam, typhoon intake and all bolt ons with 4:10 and some suspension.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

C-4 from PA transmissions. Hands down the best C-4 IMO. I wouldn't hit a Hog in the *** with any T-5 no matter who built it. If you really want to row it move into a TKO-500 or 600 or even a T-56 six speed. If you really want to use a T-5 id pick one up at Hanlon Motorsports. As good as he does there are some things about a T-5 that just arn't fixable.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

All really depends on your own personal needs/wants...If your doing a lot of Drag & bracket racing I like the C4...otherwise I much perfer a T-5...when I was running 10.5's with my Tremec 3550, I know I could have been running 10.2's with a C4 set-up...A lot depends on your current HP and how far you plan to push it...

Hanlon is the man when it comes to T-5 & Tremec set-ups IMO...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I agree with TIM. Auto vs. manual is a personal preference thing.

I'm a manual transmission person and have almost nothing on my place with an automatic besides my wifes car and her pickup.

Very few young people today learn to drive sticks. I taught both of my kids and they both drive sticks today.

I don't like driving automatics. I don't like maintaining automatics. I don't like repairing automatics.

On the strip they do make lots of sense these days and Grandma loves them, but for me, real men drive sticks.

My $0.02,
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I run a Redneck Performance C4. It is there loaded version. It is a beast, couldn't ask for more. When I talked to the guy on the phone after I received it, I asked him about break in period or what he recommends. His exact words to me were, " Just put it in the car and beat on it." I was shocked by his statement. But it told me that he has much faith in his work and stands behind his products. I have the reverse pattern manual valve body. It is like running a stick to a point, I still have to shift it.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Well a T-5 would be a more expensive way to go. You would need a billet flywheel, clutch, and a blowproof bellhousing. Just those 3 things would cost you somewhere around $1200 and you would still need a tranny. Also if your car way originaly a automatic you would need pedals, shifter, and a clutch cable. A C4 would be a cheaper way to go than a t5. Since you do drive your car some on the street have you considered a AOD? That way you would have an overdrive.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Well for all you "Stick guys" when I read he was considering a C4 with a Brake that pretty much tells you the car is going to spend most of it's time on the strip. Real men don't worry about feeling manly by driving a stick car. I love rowing the gears as much as the next guy. When it comes to racing it's all about winning.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ford91mustang
my AOD is shot so i am planning on converting to either a t-5 or C4. if i get a c4, i will most likely buy it from redneck performance (comes with t-brake and custom stall) that costs about $1300. if i get a t-5 i will most likely buy one from american powertrain. which one would u recommend?
i drive my car only in the summer and like to race it occasionally. i have gt 40 heads, e cam, typhoon intake and all bolt ons with 4:10 and some suspension.
...it all will boil down to what your intended uses is......as you stated you like to race it occassionally.....as do I AND i RUN A STOCK T-5....my ride is a 10.80-10.90 car, for me a t-5 is sufficient and will hold up just fine if you know how to use it and not abuse it.....if you like to run your ride on the highway a fair amount the c-4 will not give you the luxuray of the overdrive.....also how much power does your car make or intend to make?? all the above questions may steer you to just buy a decent manufactored t-5 or an AOD if you still want overdrive......but if overdrive is not a concern..then go c-4
Old 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

As stated above.....go with what you like. My last car had a tko 600 and i loved it. My current car has a c-4 with rmvb and i love it as well. Your changing gears just not with a clutch.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Cheapest way is to go with a c4 I love my c4 but then I love driving the 98 because its a 5 speed. Although I hate driving a stick in stop and go traffic which happens alot around here where I am.