5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t5 rebuild problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:18 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by xperimental
What evidence is there that the bevel has to go towards the input shaft? The service manual says nothing of this.
rebuild one yourself and find out. this isnt my first go around with these. you ALWAYS mark the hub/slider before removal to ensure you put it back together properly.this is how they always are whenever i take them apart. therefore....bevel faces input shaft
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
xperimental

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
rebuild one yourself and find out. this isnt my first go around with these. you ALWAYS mark the hub/slider before removal to ensure you put it back together properly.this is how they always are whenever i take them apart. therefore....bevel faces input shaft
Because you rebuilt one yourself doesn't answer my question. To rephrase the question: If the parts are brand new and have not worn into each other yet is there something special about the design that makes it absolutely necessary that the chamfer (in some cases it's a groove) is towards the input shaft? Dstang88 indicated that he forgot to mark it before he took it apart, thus he has no idea which direction the chamfer was actually facing. Even if it was facing the input it is still a crap shoot that he clocks it correctly (there are 3 possibilities). In one of your earlier posts you put an exclamation point after your statement that the chamfer MUST face the input, so I thought that you may know the reason why. I'm trying to determine if it is a technical reason or if it's just the way most people are used to seeing it. My guess is the chamfer (or groove) is used during the part inspection process. This is common practice on parts that would be symmetric otherwise (it helps the inspector locate the inspection datums).

By the way I have rebuilt one myself.

Last edited by xperimental; 08-16-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well...put it on backwards and find out. this is just how it is. they have you mark it so you put it back together the way you found it. why would you put it back together any other way? this is one of those things "it is what it is"
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
xperimental

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
well...put it on backwards and find out. this is just how it is. they have you mark it so you put it back together the way you found it. why would you put it back together any other way? this is one of those things "it is what it is"
It appears you didn't even read my post.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

looks like the groove inside the slider goes over the metal tab (whatever it is called) so it doesn't slide out of gear

man i tell you, it wouldn't surprise me if 5pointohh doesn't know how every part goes on a stang after seeing what he has done to them
Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
xperimental

I never said that you shouldn't put it back on EXACTLY the way you found it. Just like the service manual says, you should mark the slider/hub before you pull them apart and put them back the way you found them. The question is: Was it designed specifically to only go on one way or does it not matter? Once again, I am talking when they are BRAND NEW and haven't been worn into each other. I'm not sure how to be any more clear on what I am asking. If you don't know just say so. I'll understand, I promise.

If you pull one apart and find that it is pointing the other direction (like I did and it worked perfectly before I took it apart) should one take the chance and turn it around or should you do what the manual says and put it on the way you found it? Once again the manual says nothing about the orientation other than keep it the way it was.

Does this make sense?

Last edited by xperimental; 08-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I have some experience in mechanical drafting from college and can look at these drawings and tell you the chambered side faces the input shaft.

Go to this link download the second link. Borg & Warner t-5 5 speed

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Musta...nd_Drivetrain/

On the 18th page it shows the chambered side facing the input shaft.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by xperimental
I never said that you shouldn't put it back on EXACTLY the way you found it. Just like the service manual says, you should mark the slider/hub before you pull them apart and put them back the way you found them. The question is: Was it designed specifically to only go on one way or does it not matter? Once again, I am talking when they are BRAND NEW and haven't been worn into each other. I'm not sure how to be any more clear on what I am asking. If you don't know just say so. I'll understand, I promise.

If you pull one apart and find that it is pointing the other direction (like I did and it worked perfectly before I took it apart) should one take the chance and turn it around or should you do what the manual says and put it on the way you found it? Once again the manual says nothing about the orientation other than keep it the way it was.

Does this make sense?
you keep saying im not reading your posts, i am, its just you cant understand what im saying. no i dont know. but i'll ask you again. why would you put it any other way? they're assembled with the bevel facing the input shaft, i dont care if its brand new or not. if someone asks which way it faces, face it the way they all do. but i'll keep your devils advocate type thinking in mind next time and suggest for someone to put it the other way if parts are brand new.... just because. and then we'll see what happens.

does that make sense? your arguement has no purpose other than questioning why things are the way they are? what difference does it make other than a difference in opinions? it doesnt.

man i tell you, it wouldn't surprise me if 5pointohh doesn't know how every part goes on a stang after seeing what he has done to them
no i dont know everything. i havent been doing this my whole life. its all personal experience, ive only really tinkered with cars in the past 2-3 years, so pretty much the advice i offer are things i have actually done and know work. if its wrong...tell me. but this advice i gave here is not incorrect, you guys just want to start a arguement over the fact i cant tell you the scientific reasoning for the bevel facing the input shaft even though it doesnt matter anyways.

and man i tell you, ive seen your ridiculous posts. you usually never answer the persons questions, suggest off the wall things that are completely unrelated to the question at hand. ive honestly never seen your car, you just make random posts about things you've done which again seem completely unrelated to the issues you are having.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
looks like the groove inside the slider goes over the metal tab (whatever it is called) so it doesn't slide out of gear
the tabs are called detents and yes they go in the groove inside the slider. and you are correct as far as the purpose of them. also dont forget the retainer ring that goes inside the hub that holds the detents in place. one on each side of the hub
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

dude I was agreeing with you

How in the world did you come to the conclusion I wasn't, I backed up what you said with proof.

You have to understand I am from the South

Saying things like: it wouldn't suprise me if he doesn't know evrythng about a car after seeing what the has done to them = he knows what the **** he is talking about

maybe you just need to hear how we talk to understand it, I will try to be more proper

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-17-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: t5 rebuild problem :(