5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Front Springs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Default Front Springs.

I have been searching the forums for methods of installing lowering springs. The rears I don't think will be too bad. But I have encountered several methods to putting in the front springs.
What would be the easiest route for someone that hasn't done springs before on a 5.0? And I don't have a spring compressor or air tools.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what kind of springs? oem or lowering spring you can put in by hand and floor jack. drag springs you have to have a spring compressor.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

I've got lowering springs to go in. Eibach Pro-Kit.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

You are right, rears just loosen the shock lower the rear end and they basically fall out.
Fronts my method is leave the strut bolted up, take out the 2 bolts holding the a-arm to the frame lower the a-arm with 2 jacks (1 on each pivot point) put in new spring raise both jacks at the same time till you can get the bolts back in.
This is just how I found to do it, I did it by myself with no compressor or air tools. Stock v8 springs with 3/4 coil cut out.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

I would do that, but I only have one jack. Any other route I could take, or should I just borrow another jack?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

just raise the car up on your jack stands. unbolt the strut while supporting the A arm with your jack.

take your bolts out and lower the A arm slowly. remove spring clean out all the old rubber isolator from top and bottom.

prep the new spring to go in with new isolators. make sure the pig tail is lined up to fit into the perch correctly.

put the top of the spring in first and force the back spring into the perch(have the jack handle ready in hand) once you are holding the spring in its place start jacking it up.

bolt in the strut and you're done. 25 minutes max each side.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

So you are saying to unbolt the strut as well as both the a arm bolts?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

no, just the strut only. let the A arm swing freely. and actually start off by unbolting your sway bar end links to give yourself more swing before you do anything else, then support the A arm, unbolt strut only. lower the a arm and take out the spring.

think of it as a clamshell holding the spring. there is no need to unbolt the A arm from the K member.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

OH, ok. I see what you are saying. You dont think I should have any problems doing this? And to unbolt the strut is the 3 bolts on top of the strut tower, yes?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

fronts I place a jack under A-arm, break the ball joint looseand with another jack, jack the car up slowly releasing tension on a-arm and remove spring, reverse procedure to install, lowering springs should go in easier than stock springs

Quick Reply: Front Springs.