5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

is NOS a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Default is NOS a good idea?

so i have a 1995 gt convertible with a cold air intake, 75 mm throttle body, o/r x-pipe, and 40 series flowmasters. i have been researching the NOS thing and am really considering it but i need some opinions and some more information i could not find

with the stock v8 block and heads and so forth, can i still run a nitrous kit? and if so, what would be the max hp gain i could get?

how easy is it to change the nitrous jet to increase or decrease my hp gains if i feel i want more after only going with a 50 shot?

it seems like the window switch is the safest component to any NOS system...is this true? and what other safety features should i get that dont naturally come with a kit?

my engine only has 42k on it, would my engine suffer greatly if i use the nos very rarely?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Why waste your $$$ if your not going to use it or rarely! ...I'd just save $$$ and buy a SC! ...then you'll have it all the time!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

You should be safe with a 75-100hp dry shot. WIth a properly set up wet system you could spray WAY more, but it's more spendy.

I've never heard of a window switch before?

If you're engines in good shape and you do it right you will not hurt a thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

you'd be fine with a 75-100 shot... 5.0s like the spray. as long as your motor is in good shape and you have the car tuned for it you'll have no problems...

I personally dont like nitrous oxide, but that is my personal opinion
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

short answer...YES!

As mentioned, you can run 75-100 shot dry no problem, no tune. some don't even get a bigger fuel pump. I would recommend a 190lph pump and an adjustable fpr. If you want to run a bigger shot its a wise idea to go with a wet kit, plate style system.

If you're not an idiot, nitrous is no different than any other power adder, DONT RUN LEAN! Window switch is a great idea, you set your rpm range (ie before rev limiter cuts fuel) and you're set. Another good safety component is a fuel pressure safety switch, that way, if for some reason, your fuel pressure isn't adequate, it cuts off ground so you don't go sprayin when you're lean. Also, pull out 2 degrees of timing for ever 50hp shot. so 75 shot 3 degrees, 100 shot 4 degrees.

Also as mentioned, if you're not going to use it very often, it might be worth it, things like that tend to nickel and dime you to the point where you save for a few months more and have some nice heads or a super charger. My kit ended up being pretty elaborate by the time it was all said and done. But if you just want to have some fun with some spray you can find kits all day, and just run timing conservative and at least have a fuel pressure safety swtich.

anyway, that "rarely" stuff will all go away once you hit the juice. as rick james always says "nitrous is a helluva drug"
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

I'm a fan of the Constant hp gains, such as sc or turbo, but thats just me. Also NOS when used incorrectly has drastic effects on your engine, and thus using it and tuning it must be cautioned and used properly...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

god damnit i told myself i would kill the next person who used the acronym NOS like the OP did....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
god damnit i told myself i would kill the next person who used the acronym NOS like the OP did....
Word.

NOS - Nitrous.Oxide.Systems

NOS is a company that makes nitrous systems. Kids that watch to much Fast & the Furious refer to all nitrous set-ups as NOS. That's like referring to every car on the road as a Chevy.

All types of company's make Nitrous set-ups.

As far as advice towards running NOS on your car, anything dry shot 100 or below will be fine for a stock 5.0 as already mentioned.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an std, you know you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an std, you know you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences!
Classic

Quick Reply: is NOS a good idea?