5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Default Couple of questions...

With the 5.0 mustang, I know I want a 5.0, but one of the options I'm considering is picking up the 2.3L 4 cylinder because of the cost of initial investment. (don't worry guys, I'm definitely going with a blown 5.0)

The questions I have are, would a 5.0 and matching transmission be a direct bolt on, or will there be a bit of cutting and welding?

I figure with the kind of rebuild I have in mind, it would be a good idea to save money, also I wouldn't be wasting a potential cherry car on a race car build. Plus it would be easier for me to find a notchback instead of the hatchback if I'm going for a 2.3L to start from.

Secondly, do 5.0's have 02 sensors that have to be eliminated/tricked in any way, or can I go with an offroad exhaust with little to no issues?

Lastly, is the 5 lug conversion really worth it, or am I better off sticking with the 4 lug? Seems the 5 lug setup improves my options, but still...

Thoughts, ideas, etc? Is finding a cheaper 2.3L car more cost effective than buying a 5.0 stock that you're going to rebuild anyway?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

since fox's are obd1 you can run o2's with offroad exhaust

I did a 5lug swap to get better wheel and brake options
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
since fox's are obd1 you can run o2's with offroad exhaust

I did a 5lug swap to get better wheel and brake options
So it won't throw codes without cats, good (and I assume if needed you can get useful information from the sensors still?). Also the 5 lug isn't essential but gives a lot more options, I can understand that.

Last question is whether or not getting a 2.3 is more work than getting a 5.0 (if you plan on replacing EVERYTHING).
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aynjell
So it won't throw codes without cats, good (and I assume if needed you can get useful information from the sensors still?). Also the 5 lug isn't essential but gives a lot more options, I can understand that.

Last question is whether or not getting a 2.3 is more work than getting a 5.0 (if you plan on replacing EVERYTHING).
of course swapping a 2.3 out for a 5.0 is going to be more work, but hey at least you can insure it as a 2.3
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

of course swapping a 2.3 out for a 5.0 is going to be more work, but hey at least you can insure it as a 2.3
But would it be more work than swapping in a new motor into a stock 5.0? What I'm saying is, if I bought a 5.0, and pulled the motor and transmission and scrapped it, would it be less work to swap in another motor than if I went with a 2.3 starting point?

If I can save money going with a 2.3, I don't want it to be at the cost of a lot of fabrication work that I might screw up. If it's relatively straight forward, then I'd be all for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I guess its kind of a trade off the 5.0 notch will be more expensive up front but it already has the motor, trans,rear end etc

the 2.3 will be cheaper up front but you'll have to buy all those parts and convert it
Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I guess its kind of a trade off the 5.0 notch will be more expensive up front but it already has the motor, trans,rear end etc

the 2.3 will be cheaper up front but you'll have to buy all those parts and convert it
Buying is'nt the problem. I think I have probably a spending limit of about 10,000 to 15,000 for this car over the 2 years following my purchase of the car (after that it's time to buy a much newer more luxurious vehicle). I suppose that amount must also take into consideration the cost of tools and possible labor.

I just want to know if it can be done without cutting frame, can I simply bolt in new motor mounts and be done with it, or do I have tocut and weld to transplant a 5.0.

I'm having a difficult time finding a page that documents it thoroughly.

Found some information here:

http://5lmustang.com/site/4cyl_mand.php

update: found somebody selling a 4cylinder locally for 1000$. I am going to try talking it down. If I can get it cheap I'll pick it up, would be nice to be able to drive around for a few days to figure out what's wrong. And it's a notch.

Last edited by aynjell; 01-20-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I'd say if you have the money buy a 5.0. It will take a lot of time and money to convert a 4 cyl car to V8.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
I'd say if you have the money buy a 5.0. It will take a lot of time and money to convert a 4 cyl car to V8.
If I can SAVE money by getting a 4 cylinder I'm all over it. If it's POSSIBLE to go witha 4 cylinder first then it's what I'll do. Yes if I can find a GT in great shape with less than 70,000 miles for less than 3,000$ I'd probably do that, but if I found a 4cylninder car that was waiting to be donated to a good project, guess which way I'd go...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

yes its a direct bolt in provided you have the mounts, and remember the 2.3 are gutless so the torque boxes are usually in great shape unlike a lot of stick 5.0s where they are abused and torn up. a lot of 2.3 cars werent loaded down with all the power bs like a gt would be so the car is gonna be lighter right off the bat. besides most 5.0s are beat to hell so there gonna need fixing anyway, when i did my conversion i went through each part before doing the actual swap, so i had a fresh motor, trans and rear, same with the suspension, your gonna want to change it so why not do it the way you wanna, there is no better time, you have to rip the 4 cyl crap off anyway. i liked doing the 4 cyl to v8 swap cause i now have the car exactly the way i want it and i couldnt be happier with it. just my 2 cents, good luck

Quick Reply: Couple of questions...