5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear Drives

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Drives

how many of you guys have ever used a gear drive? what are the advantages and dis-advantages of using one? and what are the best brands to get?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

they are loud and annoying. generally only last 50k miles or so(what i've been told...not 100% sure on that)

almost elimnate the possiblity of "jumping a tooth" and they dont stretch. very accurate timing.

but mostly loud and annoying. even the quiet ones are super annoying...
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Advantage is they eliminate chain stretch for more precise timing

Disadvatage. They are noisy and will give you a headache, will lead to premature valvetrain failure because they transfer crankshaft vidration into the valvetrain. If your block has been line bored the clearance will be to tight. I don't know any engine builder that would endorse the use of a gear drive. Buy a good true roller chain would be my advice. I've taken a few of them out because what sounded cool in the begining got annoying in a few days.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

save your money for a mod that is useful
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

POOR MANS BLOWER!

theyre very accurate and as said eliminate skipping a tooth.

the part i disagree with is the harmonic distortion supposedly transmitted through the valve train.Ive used them many times with no problems and have known quite a few others to use them with no issues.

if you get one and i would get the pete jackson "NOISY" those are about the loudest and best sounding out there from what ive used.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
they are loud and annoying. generally only last 50k miles or so(what i've been told...not 100% sure on that)

almost elimnate the possiblity of "jumping a tooth" and they dont stretch. very accurate timing.

but mostly loud and annoying. even the quiet ones are super annoying...

First of all they sound no different than a healthy blower,and second thats not true about them only lasting 50,000 miles (just to clear that up since thats what you have been told)

Are you saying a blower whine is super annoying?Have you ever heard a beefy V8 with say a 6-71?Maybe an 8-71?Sound annoying?Theyre no different than the gear drive.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i test drove a 80's camaro that had them many times before i bought the mustang. first time i heard it...sure it was kool. i think they sound nothing like a blower. i think they sound annoying. so i disagree with you. and i only drove the car maybe 25 miles before i had enough. i've ridden in blown cars, turbo, centri and roots blower. sounds nothing like any of them.

but thanks for the clarification on them. i only asked about them before i got into cars, so i dont know anything about them other than pretty much not used in general for most applications.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

my old man used to run a gear driven set on his 482cid BBC Malibu and I for one loved the sound they made and he never had an issue with them what so ever. But it was a straight up drag car / trailer queen. I know the set had well over 200 passes because we counted up time slips one day. He was spinning his BBC to 7400rpms also.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I have heard they are junk. Just stick with a double roller timing chain.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

This thread just made me realize my motor didn't/doesn't have a double roller chain on it. Just the old weak single chain. Good thing I was gonna replace it anyway while its torn apart .

OO yea gear drives are annoying.

Quick Reply: Gear Drives