5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pcv issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default pcv issues *update*

**UPDATE**

well i've still got issues with this. i tried deleting the pcv and just running the one breather, i was told this would work from a chevy guy, lol. well it ran fine normally, but at wot i'd get too much crankcase pressure and it would shoot out the dipstick. so, i was thinking of getting rid of the breather which i was told to do on here, then maybe just run a air/oil separator in my pcv system. have any of you guys had experience with this? i need ideas with this. cause it was quite embarassing when i raced a t/a then had smoke coming from my hood. lol.

Last edited by ctgreddy; 03-08-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run one or the other not both.....if running the pcv , is the mesh filter installed in the intake to filter some of the crankcase vapors?? also did your valve covers have baffles in them??
Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i do believe they have baffles. i got a little mesh filter looking thing that i forgot to put in, it looks like it just goes in that plastic piece that the valve slides into, am i right?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the mesh filter goes in the base /under the grommet that the pcv thing slides into, and if not installed that'd be responsible for excess oil being pulled past the valve and into the intake
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yeah thats what i figured. so i'm going to throw that in, should i put a oil cap on where the breather is?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Yes, get rid of the breather and us a cap.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Also, make sure you have the hose running from the TB to the filler neck of the valve cover... and that there is a baffle installed under the filler neck...

With a breather installed, you shouldn't have had oil getting into the intake... (other issues, YES, but the oil issue shouldn't have existed)
Let us know how this works for you, but I suspect you will be back with the same issue.

Good Luck,
jason
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dudeboy
Also, make sure you have the hose running from the TB to the filler neck of the valve cover... and that there is a baffle installed under the filler neck...

With a breather installed, you shouldn't have had oil getting into the intake... (other issues, YES, but the oil issue shouldn't have existed)
Let us know how this works for you, but I suspect you will be back with the same issue.

Good Luck,
jason
yes the oil going into the intake was i believe due to the lack of me installing that little mesh filter under the pcv. so what about getting one of those oil caps that has a pcv valve in it with a spot for a hose coming out of it, that i can then run to the tb.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

That does not sound like it will work properly you will basically be sucking air from the same place you are getting it from. The idea of having th PCV on the back of lower intake and then the line from TB to oil fill cap is basically have a draft through motor.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
yes the oil going into the intake was i believe due to the lack of me installing that little mesh filter under the pcv. so what about getting one of those oil caps that has a pcv valve in it with a spot for a hose coming out of it, that i can then run to the tb.
The pcv is supposed to seal directionally. In other words air can flow from the crankcase into the intake, but not from the intake to the crankcase.
This is to prevent intake backfires from getting into the crankcase.

That's how it's supposed to work, but I've yet to find a pcv that seals completely off.

Putting a pcv on the valve cover would give you directional flow. You need that hose to be bi-directional.
During normal cruise conditions the VC-TB hose acts as the fresh air inlet for the crankcase.
When you quickly let off the throttle after a WOT blast, then the VC-TB hose allows excess pressure in the crankcase to purge (in addition to the pcv).

Do you not have the stock valve covers?
Mayve the pcv could be removed from the pcv cap you were talking about and used that way?

jason

Quick Reply: pcv issues.