5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Blown head gasket at 108k :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Default Blown head gasket at 108k :(

So I bought my car at the front of January and after installing corsa exhaust I noticed a ton of rust always sitting in my tailpipes. Since i bought the car it has felt like it isn't as fast as it should be, and the throttle seems kind of shaky. I did a compression check on it, among other things, and everything seemed fine so couldn't figure it out so on Friday I finally took it to a ford repair place that I have been to quite a few times.

It didn't pull any codes, and they couldn't really find anything confirming a blown head gasket till they did a block test on it. It blatantly failed the block test, and they showed me the fluid from the test lol. So apparently the previous owner overheated it at one point, and the head gasket is messed up somewhere a minimal amount because the compression in the cylinders reads normal.

Pretty lame but I have a few questions. I will be taking the heads off at my house in the next week or so and my eventual plans are for a procharger so I figured I should get studs for the heads while I'm at it. I figured ARP are the best way to go, but I was wondering if the studs are the same for the gt40 heads compared to E7s/aftermarket. Also does anyone know how much more a competition valve job costs over a regular one, and what kind of gains it accomplishes. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

sure your block isnt cracked? and what do you mean "block test" did they just pressurize your cooling system to find your leak? where was the fluid coming from?

anytime you wanna recondition some heads a valve job is standard. just get a standard 3 angle valve job and call it good. not worth the extra money for anything else.

yes the studs will be the same. its 302 heads studs no matter what head used.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Have the heads checked for cracks. Go with three angle valve job. The GT-40 heads aren't worth the five angle.skip the studs until you build a better bottom end.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...I think it would be wish to grt the studs with a SC application (bolts if you stay NA)...ARP studs excellent!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 AM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Have the heads checked for cracks. Go with three angle valve job. The GT-40 heads aren't worth the five angle.skip the studs until you build a better bottom end.
Stock bottom end can hold up for quite a while in my opinion from seeing my old car and many other cars on here. Run it till it breaks is how I feel, might as well lol.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
sure your block isnt cracked? and what do you mean "block test" did they just pressurize your cooling system to find your leak? where was the fluid coming from?

anytime you wanna recondition some heads a valve job is standard. just get a standard 3 angle valve job and call it good. not worth the extra money for anything else.

I am not sure how the test works exactly, but they run some kind of fluid through the block that is supposed to come back blue, and it came back completely green. I highly doubt the block is cracked.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I agree with the ^^^^!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
Not true at all!! ...302 Fords use a 7/16" stud/bolt....Most aftermarket Aluminum heads are 351 base, 1/2"....So, with studs you need to get the kit with the spacers! ...ARP also makes a bolt 1/2" of the top (head) and 7/16" for the block!

Last edited by Timspony; 02-22-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
Not true at all!! ...302 Fords use a 7/16" stud/bolt....Most aftermarket Aluminum heads are 351 base, 5/8"....So, with studs you need to get the kit with the spacers! ...ARP also makes a bolt 5/8" of the top (head) and 7/16" for the block!
We need to call the thread "Department of corrections" lol 351 and aftermarket heads are 1/2 head bolt base. We'll get it right eventually, hahaha!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by timspony
Not true at all!! ...302 Fords use a 7/16" stud/bolt....Most aftermarket Aluminum heads are 351 base, 5/8"....So, with studs you need to get the kit with the spacers! ...ARP also makes a bolt 5/8" of the top (head) and 7/16" for the block!
my bad. guess i was referring to the bolt kits for a 302 will always fit cause they'll all be 7/16 for the block.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket at 108k :(