5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just starting off..any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
AmericanMuscle23

Default Just starting off..any tips?

Im gettin a 89 5.0 gt soon in the future and was wantin to get on top of things before hand. The list of things im gonna/hoping to get are:
-borla catback
-BBk CAI
-BBK equal length headers
-Throttle body
-Underdrive pulleys
-Performance intake manifold kit
-stiffer subframe connectors to keep it stiff.

Anything im missing or things i need to add to keep it equal or w/e, do i need a new carb because im chockin the bastard or what. anything yall have is great. Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

You're EFI, no carb. Also, I would skip the UDPs. What are your goals for the car? Do you plan on racing it or is it just gonna be a fun little daily driver? What you plan to do with the car dictates what kind of modding you should do.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

here is the order you should follow, exhaust, gears, h/c/i
Old 02-28-2009, 04:55 PM
AmericanMuscle23

yea but ive heard with this car the cam is perfectly fine the way it is. so im not gonna bother with that. And yea its gonna be a daily driver but a drag machine on weekends. And might be stupid might be not, but can you change the gears on a auto?? cause if you can i want the 3.73 i know the 4.10s are best for acceleration and performance wise but idk if she would be ready for those yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

gears have nothing to do with your tranny.. they go in the rear end.

also, the stock cam is crap.. and even if you DONT have a stock cam, you dont know what it is.. therefor, no matter who tells you its good... it needs to go
Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle23
yea but ive heard with this car the cam is perfectly fine the way it is. so im not gonna bother with that. And yea its gonna be a daily driver but a drag machine on weekends. .
dang...who you been smokin weed with??? now if it were just gonna be a D/D then I'd say stock cam will be okay for a while but since you have plans to race it, if you ever have any hopes of making it fast without a power adder then you need an H/C/I for sure = heads, cam!! and intake
Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
gears have nothing to do with your tranny.. they go in the rear end.

also, the stock cam is crap.. and even if you DONT have a stock cam, you dont know what it is.. therefor, no matter who tells you its good... it needs to go
gears have something to do with your tranny cause you need speedo gears in the tranny to match with the gear ratio in the rear you want the 4.10's in that auto i agree crappy cam get a different one
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
AmericanMuscle23

haha well im deff choosin you guys who have the car then the site who's tellin about it. Thanks, yea i heard if ur gonna get a cam you need intake full exhaust and heads before you do it. But in all honesty i really dont know what a cam does besides make it extremely loud, and where would i find one ive searched but its still eluded me. thanks for the help guys
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by minnow81469
gears have something to do with your tranny cause you need speedo gears in the tranny to match with the gear ratio in the rear you want the 4.10's in that auto i agree crappy cam get a different one

gears have NOTHING do to with the tranny... what so ever!!

the only reason you have to change the gear for the speedo is because you effectively change the final drive of the vehicle which is matched by the speedo gears in the tranny. (which have nothing to do with ANYTHING aside from making your speedo accurate)

so if you run 3.73 gears, with 3.08 cal speedo gears... your speedo is obviously going to be off.

again. rear end gears have NOTHING to do with the transmission
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
mikekx65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle23
But in all honesty i really dont know what a cam does besides make it extremely loud,

You really need to sit down and do some research first. A cam has nothing to do with how loud the car will be. If i were you i wouldnt even attemp any modifications till you have a understanding of things. Theres alot of good info on this site, all you gotta do is take the time to do some research. Trust me its worth it.

Quick Reply: Just starting off..any tips?