5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need to make my 94 cobra faster....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Default I need to make my 94 cobra faster....

I'm looking at cold air intakes. which one should i get?
And what type of exhaust?
oh and my car hesitates when i get above 5,000rpm like it sounds like it might be missing? what should i check out?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Big_Steve
1st Gear Member

Do you have any mods for your car? I have an H/C/I and here comes to find out i was running lean and the duty cycle on my 19 lb injectors was 90%+. I bought some 30lb injectors and a maf for them for cheap, took it to my tuner and had a chip burnt, now it is running great. Just an idea if you have quite a bit of mods done.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:54 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

You do not need to get a CAI, just remove the stock air silencer(in fender) and plug in a K&N filter. The aluminium CAI's create a lot of heat,which defeats the purpose of cold air. For exhaust, you can't go wrong with Flowmasters to give you that old school rumble. As for your misfire, I would A) Pull codes and B) give your car a good tune up(plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap n' rotor, clean the mass air flow sensor, etc.).
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

no it's all stock right now. I've never seen the check engine light on before. but i'll be able to check everything out tomorrow. thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
You do not need to get a CAI, just remove the stock air silencer(in fender) and plug in a K&N filter. The aluminium CAI's create a lot of heat,which defeats the purpose of cold air. For exhaust, you can't go wrong with Flowmasters to give you that old school rumble. As for your misfire, I would A) Pull codes and B) give your car a good tune up(plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap n' rotor, clean the mass air flow sensor, etc.).
That's actually an old wives tale.

Whether the CAI is plastic or made out of metal, the intake air temperature isn't affected in a noticeable way.

Additionally, unless you're using a setup that relocates the filter (read: air inlet area) outside the engine bay, you're still sucking the same hot air as the stock setup. Typically, you're getting a HP increase from both an increase in diameter of the "intake" tube, as well as an increase in smoothness of airflow into the engine. (both in comparison to the stocker.)

I say just go find the one you like and install it. (I had a chrome BBK setup.)
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Also, if it's missing over 5000 RPM's, I'd recommend changing the spark plugs, the cap and the rotor, as well as the fuel filter.

If it still does it after that, change the wires.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightcrawler52
no it's all stock right now. I've never seen the check engine light on before. but i'll be able to check everything out tomorrow. thanks for the help guys.
One thing that I have learned is that the Check Engine Light does not always need to be on to pull codes.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
That's actually an old wives tale.

Whether the CAI is plastic or made out of metal, the intake air temperature isn't affected in a noticeable way.

Additionally, unless you're using a setup that relocates the filter (read: air inlet area) outside the engine bay, you're still sucking the same hot air as the stock setup. Typically, you're getting a HP increase from both an increase in diameter of the "intake" tube, as well as an increase in smoothness of airflow into the engine. (both in comparison to the stocker.)

I say just go find the one you like and install it. (I had a chrome BBK setup.)
Yep, your points are very valid. However, when it comes to making power, a stock setup with the removed silencer and plug in K&N, has proven to make the same power as the chrome CAI's. Why? Because the stock set-up tubing is not that restrictive. BTW, I ran an ebay CAI on mine for three years with 0 problems. There's no point in spending excess $$, other than for the 'bling' factor. If that is the case, then the OP should just get a $40 ebay one.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

If you want to make the Cobra faster, buy a SC!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
Yep, your points are very valid. However, when it comes to making power, a stock setup with the removed silencer and plug in K&N, has proven to make the same power as the chrome CAI's. Why? Because the stock set-up tubing is not that restrictive. BTW, I ran an ebay CAI on mine for three years with 0 problems. There's no point in spending excess $$, other than for the 'bling' factor. If that is the case, then the OP should just get a $40 ebay one.
I agree 100%.

That's why I said just go buy whichever one you like and go with that. It's 99% about the "bling" factor, anyway. (like you said.)

It's funny how well marketing works sometimes.

Quick Reply: I need to make my 94 cobra faster....