5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trans./torque converter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
KJMac

Default Trans./torque converter??

I have a 1995 GT and the torque converter is locking up in all the gears while driving around town, it of course unlocks when I hit the brakes! Is this normal? Doesn't seem to be! My car is crapping out above 3500, I ran the tests and cleaned the MAF and IAC solenoid. A guy at the local autoparts strongly beleives it is the TFI module. My coil is a little low on secondary ohms...7.2K-ohms and it shouold be 7.7K-ohms. Fuel pressure is 32 at idle w/vac. hose on. light blip of the thrattle and it drops down to 28lbs. with the vac. hose unplugged is is at 40lbs at Idle.

Thanks,
KJ
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Your AODE is a lockup torque converter, so it would make sense for it to lockup in all the gears. As for your cut-out problem, could you explain what the car is doing? Does it stop revving? Does it sound like it is hitting the rev limiter, etc? You could have a bad TFI, but I do not think that is the problem. Take it out and get it tested for free at Autozone.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
KJMac

Yes I know it is a lockup TQ, I just wasn't shure if it locked up at low speeds.
I thought it might be a fuel pump but most everybody thinks it wouldn't be.
It gets up to 3500 and does sound like it is hitting the rev limiter but not as soft as an MSD. Sometimes it craps harder and louder than other times but is fairly consistant!

Thanks for the Input!!
KJ
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

My converter does indeed lockup at low speeds like yours. However, I have a PI stall converter. But it shouldn't make a difference. I had a problem several months ago with this same/similar issue. The car would drive fine, then cut out at 2500rpm and up. This would occur even in normal cruise driving. I replaced everything: my plugs(twice), cap, rotor, TFI module, 2 fuel pumps, coil, cleaned all the electrical contacts, messed with my tuning(Tweecer), fuel filter, etc. After reading up, it turned out to be my Hall Effects Sensor in the Distributor. You can replace it, but it is not reccomended. Your best bet would be to replace the entire distributor. You can also verify this by pulling codes with the car turned on. If a code pops up with something ignition related, then I am almost positive it is the dizzy.
-Aaron
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
KJMac

The problem is ......no codes! Thank You though! It Probably is the Distributor!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

im having that same problem in my s10 extreme except the only code coming on is the maf and ive replaced that still same thing
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KJMac
The problem is ......no codes! Thank You though! It Probably is the Distributor!
Are you running the stock dizzy? A remanufactured one? I am still putting my bet on the dizzy. Hope you figure it out soon.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
KJMac

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
Are you running the stock dizzy? A remanufactured one? I am still putting my bet on the dizzy. Hope you figure it out soon.
Thanks for the help! I'm going to order the Summit (I Believe it's billet) Distributor, I'm sure it is better than the reman crap out there.
As far as I can tell it is the stock dist..
I have heard of the Tweecer, is it the way to go for the SN95 computers? I'm thinking I want to chip it or something!
Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Hopefully this will solve your problem. As for the Tweecer, it works great for our computers. Plus it works well with out automatics. The only downside, is there is a lot of reading. You get four tunes and one stock tune, which is insurance incase you mess up one of the other tunes. And unlike a shop burning you a chip, if you add mods to your car, you can keep tuning it with the Tweecer, versus going back to the shop and forking out another $500+ for a new tune. The tuning capabilities for the Tweecer are endless. It is one of the best mods that I have bought.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM
KJMac

Thank you, where can I find one?

Quick Reply: Trans./torque converter??