5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331 curiousity

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

sell the heads to finance the buy better heads fund. did you go to that website i told you to get some good reading on?

ok here's what you need to do.
347 buy it from fordstrokers.com
heads, cam and valvetrain buy from camshaftinnovations.com
intake buy from summit but i am sure jay will tell you to get a vic jr
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by my77project
So creating a theoretical build here...

I get the 347, performer heads, what intake/cam would you recommend? btw, performers have had some porting done on them.
Because of this statement I going to assume (I hate when I have to do that) that you already own these heads. They make the performer in 170cc and with either a 1.90 or 2.02 intake valve. For the sake of a worst case situation I'm going with the 1.90 version and guess with some light amature porting these heads flow in the range of 230-240 cfm (light bowl work, port matched) which isn't horrible by any means but not as good as a set of TFS twisted wedge heads either. They are far and away better than anything that ever rolled down the assembly line on any windsor based engine. I will also assume a compression ratio of 10.1 (pretty easy on a 347) I would use an Comp XE266HR cam with a Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Pro Products Crosswind or Summit Stage 3 intake manifold and a 670 Holley Street avenger carb and no deeper than 3:73 gears.

Now this engine won't be a dyno queen and lay down impressive hp numbers but it will have some impressive low end torque. It's going to make (at the flywheel) around 350hp and 420lb feet of torque. The torque is going to come on very early (around 2000 rpm) and hold +- 400lbs from 2100-4900 rpm. use a 3:27-3:73 gear and you will have a pretty sweet ride. Shift it at 5500 rpm and you will be impressed with it.

In a situation where you have less than ideal heads you build for torque and gear the car right and it works without much strain to the bottom end and it will live a long and happy life. I woundn't sweat the HP numbers.Torque moves the car and you just gear around the torque band. It will work
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fs308
sell the heads to finance the buy better heads fund. did you go to that website i told you to get some good reading on?

ok here's what you need to do.
347 buy it from fordstrokers.com
heads, cam and valvetrain buy from camshaftinnovations.com
intake buy from summit but i am sure jay will tell you to get a vic jr
I'm sure you will finance this for him right?? hahaha!!!

There are wants There are Needs and there are things you have to work around. It's incredible to me to hear so many people give this same advice (which is good if you have the money) but look under their hoods and a set of E7's are still there. I'm not saying thats your case but I see this a lot. The fact is he can build around the heads he has even though they are not "Ideal" he obviously has them. It's real easy to give out advice you don't have to give an ounce of thought to it and you are not funding this build. Oh Hell why not just call up Bill Mitchell and order up a 460 cubic inch Windsor. See that was easy advice and I wish I had one under my hood. I'd love to have that 600+ lbs or torque on hand but thats the breaks.

I doubt Jay Allen would tell him to buy a Victor Jr unless the car is extremly light, very low geared and very aggressive. If it's the typical For Body that weighs in at 3000+ pounds the AIr Gap will make so much better torque that the slight gain in peak hp won't mean much.

I think it's funny that so many people assume he's building a race car and not a street car.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Because of this statement I going to assume (I hate when I have to do that) that you already own these heads. They make the performer in 170cc and with either a 1.90 or 2.02 intake valve. For the sake of a worst case situation I'm going with the 1.90 version and guess with some light amature porting these heads flow in the range of 230-240 cfm (light bowl work, port matched) which isn't horrible by any means but not as good as a set of TFS twisted wedge heads either. They are far and away better than anything that ever rolled down the assembly line on any windsor based engine. I will also assume a compression ratio of 10.1 (pretty easy on a 347) I would use an Comp XE266HR cam with a Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Pro Products Crosswind or Summit Stage 3 intake manifold and a 670 Holley Street avenger carb and no deeper than 3:73 gears.

Now this engine won't be a dyno queen and lay down impressive hp numbers but it will have some impressive low end torque. It's going to make (at the flywheel) around 350hp and 420lb feet of torque. The torque is going to come on very early (around 2000 rpm) and hold +- 400lbs from 2100-4900 rpm. use a 3:27-3:73 gear and you will have a pretty sweet ride. Shift it at 5500 rpm and you will be impressed with it.

In a situation where you have less than ideal heads you build for torque and gear the car right and it works without much strain to the bottom end and it will live a long and happy life. I woundn't sweat the HP numbers.Torque moves the car and you just gear around the torque band. It will work

why in the world would you even want to build a stroker if your going to be making 350fly hp. thats a waste of time and money. for the measley goal he might as well build cheaper and build a 306 and save some money. im not going to lie i built a stroker a while back ran out of money and had to use some extremely ported e7's. i was still over 300rwhp with them.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
I'm sure you will finance this for him right?? hahaha!!!

There are wants There are Needs and there are things you have to work around. It's incredible to me to hear so many people give this same advice (which is good if you have the money) but look under their hoods and a set of E7's are still there. I'm not saying thats your case but I see this a lot. The fact is he can build around the heads he has even though they are not "Ideal" he obviously has them. It's real easy to give out advice you don't have to give an ounce of thought to it and you are not funding this build. Oh Hell why not just call up Bill Mitchell and order up a 460 cubic inch Windsor. See that was easy advice and I wish I had one under my hood. I'd love to have that 600+ lbs or torque on hand but thats the breaks.

I doubt Jay Allen would tell him to buy a Victor Jr unless the car is extremly light, very low geared and very aggressive. If it's the typical For Body that weighs in at 3000+ pounds the AIr Gap will make so much better torque that the slight gain in peak hp won't mean much.

I think it's funny that so many people assume he's building a race car and not a street car.
why do you ASSume everything has to be for a RACE car. thats why jay makes CUSTOM cams. he designs it for his customers needs. also its cheaper to build it once then to be disappointed and rebuy everything a 2nd time around. Been there done that
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Sleeper_Stang_89
2nd Gear Member

why do you ASSume everything has to be for a RACE car. thats why jay makes CUSTOM cams. he designs it for his customers needs. also its cheaper to build it once then to be disappointed and rebuy everything a 2nd time around. Been there done that
Amen...

get the best intake you can get... A Vic Jr or a spyder intake is great for a 347... Some TFS or Canfield heads and a good cam (custom HR) will make a very nice STREET friendly motor... thats pretty much the blueprint of my 331, and I get 20+mpg

Last edited by Sleeper_Stang_89; 04-01-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

why in the world would you even want to build a stroker if your going to be making 350fly hp. thats a waste of time and money. for the measley goal he might as well build cheaper and build a 306 and save some money. im not going to lie i built a stroker a while back ran out of money and had to use some extremely ported e7's. i was still over 300rwhp with them.
You are putting way to much importance on a mathimatical figure (HP) and not enough on what really moves the car and that is torque. I never said I wanted to build it but telling the guy the best way to build what he has to work with. You can take two engines of the same cubic inch, with the same compression ratio and they will make pretty close to same amount of torque (I didn't say exact) but with a cam swap you can move that torque band around. With a smaller head (which he has) his best bet would be to optimize the power where the widest torque curve is available and in his case it down low because of slighty restrictive flow (not horible). While it would be easy to boost up the peak HP numbers on this engine to look fairly impressive it would come at the cost of overall power and low end torque. An engine that makes Gobs of low end torque that is gear right can hold it's own over the smae engine making much better numbers on a dyno. I'll give you a real life example.

My wife had a 69 Chevelle Wagon with a 454 engine. It had a set of Oval Port heads, a small Hyd flat tappet cam, performer intake and a 750 Holley Vac seconday carb. It made an unflattering 366 hp at the crank (She wanted it really mild and easy to drive with no stall,fairly smooth idle, blah blah blah) but this engine made over 500 lbs ft of torque from 1300-4500rpm. With 3:42 gears she could run mid 12's all day long in a car that tipped the scales at nearly 4000 pounds with fuel and driver. I never had it on the chassis dyno but I'm sure with the horsepower robbing Turbo 400 in it that it fell somewhere below 300 rwhp. She outran lots of "500hp"(I use that loosly) cars with a 366hp station wagon. It's all about overall power not just a peak number on a dyno. If that were the case all those 600+ hp dyno queen imports would be in the low 10 easily.

The problem is they don't have the low end torque to get the car moving and the reason so many have a hard time breaking into the 12's with such impressive dyno numbers. Just like GM's 502/502. Only 502 hp out of over 500 cubic inches with aluminum heads, hyd roller cam. Most people say "I can make that amount of power out of a 347 easy" This is true but only on the dyno hp graph. What youre missing is the 570 lbsft of torque it makes starting at 500+ from 2000 all the way to 5800 rpm. The one I had in my 68 Camaro had a super flat torque curve (so flat you can't really call it a curve) and would run 11.05's all day long shifting it at 5500 with a vac seconday carb and 3:42 gears and a built 200R4 transmission. You can impress your friends with dyno pulls with high hp numbers or you can hurt their feeling down at the local dragstrip. Doing both is good too
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If you are going with a Vic Jr you are planning on high rpm with a pretty big torque loss at low rpm. It the intake in itself made that statement
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_Stang_89
Amen...

get the best intake you can get... A Vic Jr or a spyder intake is great for a 347... Some TFS or Canfield heads and a good cam (custom HR) will make a very nice STREET friendly motor... thats pretty much the blueprint of my 331, and I get 20+mpg
I agree. But if you can't afford the TFS or Canfields you work around what you have. Seems to be a hard concept for most people to grasp.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

portmaster do you know the OP? im confused on how you know so much about what you think they want. all ive done is pointed them in the right direction. all i keep hearing is lets throw the wrong parts at the motor so we can make gobs of torque. having a big block making 366flywheel is fuking pathetic no matter how you put it. i wish my grandfather were alive still because he would be laughing at you.
i say let the OP go get some education and learn from some of the pro's and build there stroker right the first time around instead of having to do it twice which cost more in the end.

Quick Reply: 331 curiousity