5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

leaking head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

there is a small oil leak at te head gasket, rear main, and oil pan gasket. i just picked up the car and started driving it a few months ago. i was putting a plenum spacer in a month or so ago which went south. (messed up the lower intake thread and had to retap, ignored putting the spacer in after that, and immediately started seeing smoke come from under the upper -- that was intermittent light smoke) just the other day after driving for a little the smoke was constant and looked like it was coming from down further in the back near the head gasket (cant see exactly but its from down around there) i was also messing around with trying to get the bolts off for the smog pump delete but tightend them back up cuz i could get one loose. as for the coolant, i need a sugg on this one. i drained the radiator fluid and filled it back up with water only with noting in the overflow. never had any overheating issue (temp gauge usually never went above the second notch on the stock gauge) should i completely drain and just use 50/50?

sorry long but tried getting in as much as i could
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

check for coolant in oil, and oil in coolant, youll be smoking quite a bit outta the pipes as well. also do a compression test.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NotchAbove
Its an involved job, no way about it. Here is what you have to do real quick.

1) Remove Upper Intake
2) Remove Accessories
3) Remove distributor
4) Remove lower intake
5) Remove valve covers
6) Remove Head

(There are plenty of vacuum hoses and electrical connectors to disconnect as you go through this).

Remember to replace the head bolts as well, its not the best idea to reuse them.
you don't have to take out the dizzy for anything while changing head gaskets
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
you don't have to take out the dizzy for anything while changing head gaskets
Well you don't have to but I can see this guy is inexperienced, and getting that lower back on without messing up the RTV you just laid down, its much easier with dizzy out.

Anyhow, it sounds to me that your PCV valve popped out and that is the smoke your seeing. The PCV is in the back of the engine, in the lower intake. I'd check that.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by j-wigg
with the gasket being bad, are there other things that can break if driven?
Yes, if you get enough water in the cylinder you can hydro lock the engine which could cause serious damage to the piston, rod, crank, block. Water does not compress so something has to give.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NotchAbove
Its an involved job, no way about it. Here is what you have to do real quick.

1) Remove Upper Intake
2) Remove Accessories
3) Remove distributor
4) Remove lower intake
5) Remove valve covers
6) Remove Head

(There are plenty of vacuum hoses and electrical connectors to disconnect as you go through this).

Remember to replace the head bolts as well, its not the best idea to reuse them.
**Cough** Exhaust manifolds **Cough**
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

yea i'm inexperienced. first mustang and wanting to take on every project with it. i take it in order to not take the dizzy and be able to get the heads on time needs to be taken to make sure nothing gets smeared. and believe me i will probably break something else in the mean time, lol. i'm hoping to pick up an explorer intake (possible something i broke when trying to put the spacer in) all this info is apprecieated. hope its just the intake for now.