5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump and EGR valve removal questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

i'm trying to figure all that out completely too. from what i've got going
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

ive always wondered about the tab and tad, and if the ecu will function normal without them connected?as well as the egr being unplugged and removed? i like fuel injection but i swear theres so much bullshyt that goes along with it and i dont know if the computer can run right with all these things missing.its like you need a stand alone ecu that isnt effected by smog crap missing or go carbbed.
im almost thinking of going carb just to get all the junk out of my engine bay.
anyways can any one confirm the effect of unplugging and or removing the tad tab and egr???
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
ive always wondered about the tab and tad, and if the ecu will function normal without them connected?as well as the egr being unplugged and removed? i like fuel injection but i swear theres so much bullshyt that goes along with it and i dont know if the computer can run right with all these things missing.its like you need a stand alone ecu that isnt effected by smog crap missing or go carbbed.
im almost thinking of going carb just to get all the junk out of my engine bay.
anyways can any one confirm the effect of unplugging and or removing the tad tab and egr???
Its my understanding(what I've been told!) is that. The EEC will not throw any codes and the car will not run in "dummy mode". If all that is removed/capped off/un-plugged. The EEC will reset its self!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

by the way. may possible be my problem, all my electrical connections are still connected. the only one i tried to take off was egr connection. tab and tad are connected along with everything else behind the psgr wheel.

just to let u know, my car is not running right. so something may be wrong this way.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

I un-plugged all my ele. connections and moved 'em out of the way. The previous owner did something to my smog shyt. And left some vacuum lines un-capped. I was having problems with my car. It would stutter/spit/bog at times. I hope by "completely" deleteing the smog shyt. It will fix my stutter/spit/bog! I will not know until I install my WP, thermo. stat, aftermarket water temp gauge, 3g alt., and ele. fan.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

well i have a 86 with maf conversion and when i unplug the tab and tad it doesnt want to start.im also having problems but my point is it effects how i run at start
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
well i have a 86 with maf conversion and when i unplug the tab and tad it doesnt want to start.im also having problems but my point is it effects how i run at start
what does it do when starting with them disconnected?

i'm not on maf just yet. will they be needed to convert?

is the air pump in the pic above considered the smog pump?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j-wigg
what does it do when starting with them disconnected?

i'm not on maf just yet. will they be needed to convert?

is the air pump in the pic above considered the smog pump?
well one of the things with the maf conversion is you have to switch pins around for the tab and tad if you keep the speed density harness and add pins to hook up the maf. i really dont know why its so important. i have a off raod h pipe so no cats and no smog pump/air pump hooked up which is basically what the tab and tad are for.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

is this the vacuum check valve??
does this stay on. its going to the top solenoid near the pass wheel.

are all 3 of these electrical plugs to come out?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Your 1st pix. thats the 1 vacuum line that I kept. Its the one I was askin if I needed to keep it or not in my post here.....

Yes to your 2nd pix. Those get unplugged and the vacuum lines get capped off!

Quick Reply: Smog pump and EGR valve removal questions...