5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Quick Question about exhaust cut offs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
91GTSTANGKID
1st Gear Member

Default Quick Question about exhaust cut offs!!!

Okay so i have an all stock 1991 5.0 with just some mufflers and gutted cats. I'm interested in getting cut offs or just taking the mufflers completly off. would that harm the engine. i had a friend that did it and he to his 5.0 to a shop and they told him he seezed up the engine and oil was driping from the exhaust pipe. could something like that happen??
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

im guessing it was just coincidence. he probably had something wrong with his engine and when he did that, whatever the problem was, it decided to rear its ugly head and show itself, BUT, on that note. anything is possible...haha. ive never seen oil coming from an exhaust pipe just because they were running dumps or cutting the mufflers off. itll be loud as hell though if probably if you cut the mufflers off, unless youre just gonna run straight pipe to the bumper like the original piping was...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
5.088lxdood87
1st Gear Member

ive never heard of that either i dont think that is possible sounds more like engine issues when it comes to oil problems i have no cats but has flowmaster mufflers mine just dumps out underneath the car but i wouldnt do it if i were you i think it sounds more annoying than anything its too loud and be prepared to get some tickets but how much would something like that cost to get just straight pipes to the bumper with the chrome tips?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

installing cut offs won't cause engine failure. installing cut offs also will not improve performance in any way, it will most likely hinder it. are you interested in doing it just because it will be loud?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
5.088lxdood87
1st Gear Member

im not i think it sounds annoying to tell you the truth and i get looked at now from the cops around here i think its loud enough with no cats and a nice set of mufflers i just want to extend mine so they dont dump under the car but im gonna keep my mufflers.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

lose the dumps dude. i just run my mufflers open after my h pipe, then dumps actually quiet it down some. i love hearin the mufflers scream right underneath me
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnstang
lose the dumps dude. i just run my mufflers open after my h pipe, then dumps actually quiet it down some. i love hearin the mufflers scream right underneath me
i second that. when i first put my exhaust on, i rode @ for a couple weeks with no tailpipes after the mufflers. sounded great. talk about a drone. hahaha.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grn N Gry 5OH
i second that. when i first put my exhaust on, i rode @ for a couple weeks with no tailpipes after the mufflers. sounded great. talk about a drone. hahaha.
hell yeah man
Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

I've also been considering sawing off the rear part of the exhaust that curves over the axle and just putting dumps after the mufflers...Not sure if I want to go through with it though, lol. I have headers, an X-pipe, and flowmaster mufflers.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM
LiL3viL
1st Gear Member

i unbolted my catback once and just ran straight piped for a month and i lossed power due to lack of back pressure, it also sounded like a tractor. definately run some kind of dumps instead of straight piped if you want to retain your power

Quick Reply: Quick Question about exhaust cut offs!!!