5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone running BBK intake w/AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

375+......not gonna get there with the parts combo you choose....a 347 would be the easiest route to that goal......however a 302 built right with quality chosen components can make it there too.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
however a 302 built right with quality chosen components can make it there too.
And the right quality chosen components to get me there would be?

C'mon peeps this is still a discussion board right? Since my suggestion of BBK intake/AFR heads isn't very appealing to many of you what would your set be or what is your setup.

I'm not very interested in a turbo or supercharger or any other air forced induction system. I just want a nice sleeper that is ALL motor. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

that much hp out of a 302-306 is going to consist of a set of really expensive heads, fully custom valvetrain, custom camshaft, a heavily ported manifold, and some high compression

not to mention, like 9000 rpm shifts
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patsfan34
And the right quality chosen components to get me there would be?

C'mon peeps this is still a discussion board right? Since my suggestion of BBK intake/AFR heads isn't very appealing to many of you what would your set be or what is your setup.

I'm not very interested in a turbo or supercharger or any other air forced induction system. I just want a nice sleeper that is ALL motor. Thanks for all the replies!
consider a 347 then
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Patsfan34

!
it's not that it's not appealing to us, it's common knowledge that what you have chosen will seriously dissapoint you.......if your staying efi, for the long block have the bottom end in good shape meaning good ring seal, set of tfs fast as cast heads, Custom CI cam..either TLSR CAM or hydraulic roller..we'll leave specs up to the designer, short runner intake such as a victor efi and all supporting mods and have the springs set up in accordance with cam recomendations.....and hold on!!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

400hp is gonna cost ya... stock bottem end won't like the RPMs it will take to get there, basically you'll need everything MJR said solid roller cam to replace the HR cam would greatly help, after market rods and pistons that are really light and balanced perfectly so the motor can spin it to the rpm needed

your looking at a pricey build no matter which way you flip it...

do it once do it right
Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

You have yet to mention what AFR heads you have or which BBK intake. Until you answer that question it's all just assuming. 400 HP isn't out of the question but if you are looking for torque on a N/A engine and a sleeper go to more cubes. You can pass off a 347 easily as a 302. There is no external differance but just a differance in stroke.

It's a discussion board so discuss what you have
Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

if it was me, and i had the money to do it with, id build a 347, a set of trickflow r-series heads, an edlebrock victor efi or trickflow r series intake, a custom ground cam probably from AFM, 42-60lb injectors, a 90mm lighting MAF sensor, 75mm or bigger tb, long tube headers, and either a 3:73 or 4:10 gears. considering all this stuff, youll still need a bigger fuel pump, a better tranny possibly or def. a better cluth kit, and a hell of alot of suspension. and torque box strenghteners. the afr 205's arent bad either though.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
it's not that it's not appealing to us, it's common knowledge that what you have chosen will seriously dissapoint you.......if your staying efi, for the long block have the bottom end in good shape meaning good ring seal, set of tfs fast as cast heads, Custom CI cam..either TLSR CAM or hydraulic roller..we'll leave specs up to the designer, short runner intake such as a victor efi and all supporting mods and have the springs set up in accordance with cam recomendations.....and hold on!!!!!
... and you could end up with something like.......

EFI or carb. ... the results above are from a 331 stroker.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joel5.0
... and you could end up with something like.......

EFI or carb. ... the results above are from a 331 stroker.

and there was alot left on the table.

and to add chance had an ASSumed "perfect combo"and had listened to the magazine hype not to mention internet myths<i'll leave that one alone)...

if you have the said parts..use them,but don't expect much

Quick Reply: Anyone running BBK intake w/AFR heads?