5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Door lock key problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5pony0
Ok, so I took off the door panel and had to manually twist part of the actuator to get it moving. Sprayed some WD-40 on it and got it moving again. I can now open and lock the door using the KEY. However the power lock switch and remote still does nothing on the driver side. I'm pretty sure it's a wiring problem, because before the power locks went, it would only work when the door was closed, but wouldn't work when the door was open...not even an inch.

this lock problem seemed to start shortly after getting the door hinges replaced at the shop a while back.

Anyone know how to go about checking it or can point me in the right direction?
It's the actuator, just replace it and avoid the headache. Your problems are exactly the same thing I went through. You'd think if you were in the drivers seat and the door was locked you could just pull the lever and get out. Not so...just replace the actuator and avoid having to crawl over the passenger seat to get in and out. I'm a patient fvck and did just that for weeks as I drive mine on weekends only...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
It's the actuator, just replace it and avoid the headache. Your problems are exactly the same thing I went through. You'd think if you were in the drivers seat and the door was locked you could just pull the lever and get out. Not so...just replace the actuator and avoid having to crawl over the passenger seat to get in and out. I'm a patient fvck and did just that for weeks as I drive mine on weekends only...
The Key AND the inside door handle will unlock the door. I'll eventually get a new actuator, but I'm still worried it's a wiring problem also. For the last 6 months the Power Lock on Driver side would only work when the Door was closed. Once open the driver side would not work, but once i closed the door it would work fine.

But now it's not working at all...it only works now with the key and pulling the inside door handle.

thanks for your advice