5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Weird 95 5.0 problem ...Please take a look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Trick Pony

Default Weird 95 5.0 problem ...Please take a look!

My car has been running hot! It got up to 230 yesterday on pure water. Its not leaking coolant and the fans are working. It just started this about two weeks ago. The other problem is that its way slugish. If you floor it through first, there is no pep, its almost like its bogging, and the RPMs clime very slowly. Now if you shut the car off and then start it, the power is 100%, but if you wait like 3 minutes, the power is gone once again. The check engine light is NOT on and i dont know were to begin. I dont think these problems are related but im unsure. Nobody can seem to help me.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Trick Pony

Default RE: Weird 95 5.0 problem ...Please take a look!

Ill give $20 to whoever solves the bogging problem!
Old 06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

what are your mods?
have you done anything recently?

you have to use antifreeze mixed with water. thats why your running too hot, and running too hot could be your performance problem too.
does it have power when it is cold?

I had the same thing happen when I first had my car, no power till about 3800 rpm then it picked up.
turns out it was the ignition module.

have you checked for codes?

Old 06-25-2005, 05:05 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

if your fan is working check your thermostate that might be stuck i bet thats your problem or flush your radiator
Old 06-25-2005, 05:25 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

what are your mods?
have you done anything recently?

you have to use antifreeze mixed with water. thats why your running too hot, and running too hot could be your performance problem too.
does it have power when it is cold?

I had the same thing happen when I first had my car, no power till about 3800 rpm then it picked up.
turns out it was the ignition module.

have you checked for codes?

i could be wrong here, but i know that NASCAR cars just run on water. they don't use antifreeze, since their cars never get cold. soooo, as long as your car isn't gonna freeze (like during the summer) then you should be fine just running water, as long as the engine doesn't get hot enough to boil the water. does coolant have additives to keep the water from boiling?..
Old 06-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Grey Fox
1st Gear Member

I thought antifreeze boiled at a lower temp than water, that water cooled better, and antifreeze just kept the coolant from freezing.

Try RedLine Watter Wetter in the coolant to help, and check the thermostat.

As far as the bogging goes, there's a hundred different things it could be...timing, ignition, fuel delivery, etc....
Old 06-26-2005, 01:16 AM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

i dont know if your problems are related or not. im just here to throw my 2 cents in on the antifreeze.
antifreeze isnt only used to keep the water from freezing. it also takes the boiling point of the water up a few notches. there are also other ingredients that help prevent corrosion, protect seals, water pumps...

i had an old trunk that i ran pure water in during the summers and would drain and park it for winter. my radiator ended up rusting and rust chips started going with the water and started causing problems in the engine itself. the chips kept getting caught up in little holes and would restrict water flow. i ended up cracking a head due to it. once the engine was taken apart it was apparent that the rust was the problem. the water couldnt make it to the radiator to be cooled off. it overheated without me even knowing it was happening. the temp guage was hooked up to the radiator and that water wasnt flowing smooth so it didnt get as hot as what was stuck in engine. it also prevented the water pump from pumping like it should. i would have thought the pump would go out first since it was trying to push water, but had a hard time.

ever since then i check my coolant when i check my oil. i also will crank it up and look into radiator to see if its flowing smooth. they say its good for something like 30-40 thousand miles. i flush and change mine at the beginning and end of summer every year. i think the cooling system is just as important as the oiling system in a car.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:57 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

to answer the antifreeze question its half and half and the problem you are having sounds like the water pump is going and i would replace it and the thermo with a 180*
Old 06-26-2005, 03:31 PM
ZoomZoom04
1st Gear Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA.......wow i thought i was the only one with this problem!!!!i have a 94 and it was doin the same thing......i would turn it off and on then get about a couple good minutes......unplug ur mass airflow sensor and run it with out it.....see if that works if it is u need a new one....thats what was wrong with mine!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

As others have said ANti-freeze will also raise the boiling point of your coolant, BUT water alone is more efficiant at cooling. Adding Water Wetter will keep the water pump bearings lubricated AND provide corrosion protection. Check all the componants to you cooling system and I bet you find the weak link. The bogging could be a clogged cat amoung other things.

Quick Reply: Weird 95 5.0 problem ...Please take a look!