5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Budget: pro comps to replace e7's on 347?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
89cobra5.0
1st Gear Member

Question Budget: pro comps to replace e7's on 347?

Hey guys, sorry I never updated since I changed the spark plug wires.. Well that wasnt the fix and it was still running like I was on 6 or 7 cylinders. Ive had my car in the shop now for like two weeks, and Im looking to get a set of aluminum heads, but with my sister getting married saturday, and money being the way it is I just dont have $1,xxx to spend on heads because I will be buying them on my own. I found a set of Pro comp 190cc with 60cc chambers complete here in cali for $725 shipped. Me not having a car is causing issues within my family (Ive been using my dads truck) and I simply cannot be without a car for months just to save money. Anyways I asked my tuner what he thought about them, for my mustang he said hed prefer trickflow's, but my budget is absolutely not going to allow that, but he said pro comps are ok, obviously worlds better than what I got, but they dont quite compare with the TF's. I understand that. And right now im not really looking for 400whp anyways. Id like to be mid 300s give or take, but Id also like to get rid of my damn problem. $725 complete and shipped is doable for the most part and the auction on ebay here in cali is expiring in 5 hours, along with another in TN which expires tomorrow. I think I am going to jump on these heads because it will not only fix my problem and give me more power, but itll give me something to aspire towards in the future (the TFS), Id like some input from you guys, thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

There's not too many people on here that will recommend them to you. Some people run them and have no problems. The issues are the casting irregularities, and the cheap valve train parts they use. Most on here will advise you to look for a used set of Eddy's, AFRs or TWs for your 347.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Personally, I would look for some used aluminum heads. Corral.net is a good place to start looking.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

you might even find some used trickflow or AFR;s for about that price.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like you've made your choice and are just looking for affirmation of your choice..........GL
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I sold a set of procomps for 325 bare to a friend of mine. He ran them for a few weeks and blew the motor. (transmission slipped while on the bottle) He put the parts in them that you would want on them. He tried to sell them back to me for 700 but, my pistons are not notched, thence the reason I sold them. They ought to be good heads if they weren't hurt. (I haven't seen them) If you like, I could give him a call and see if he still has them. I won't sell them to you if they are damaged. I like my feedback on Corral and e-bay and I don't want that to change.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
sounds like you've made your choice and are just looking for affirmation of your choice..........GL

thats the way it sounds to me.

do yourself a favor and get some used afr's or TWs off corral. with the money you spent building a 347 its pretty foolish to cheap out on the most important part on your motor

if you cant afford to do it right the first time, how will you be able to afford to do it right the second time?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
thats the way it sounds to me.

do yourself a favor and get some used afr's or TWs off corral. with the money you spent building a 347 its pretty foolish to cheap out on the most important part on your motor

if you cant afford to do it right the first time, how will you be able to afford to do it right the second time?
that sounds like the saying joel uses.
there is never enough money to do it right the first time but always money to do it a 2nd time
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 AM
89cobra5.0
1st Gear Member

Nah guys dont get me wrong I would love a set of AFR, or TF even used, I just didnt know where to look. I really dont want these pro comps but I didnt know I could get some used afr/tf for around the same price; I dont have my mind set yet. I was only asking about those because I havent been able to find really any other aluminum heads that were within an attainable reach of me right now. Id absolutely be open to a set of used afr/trickflow. But honestly I had no idea of where to look, Ill give what you guys listed a look to see if anything is eye catching. Id be willing to deal with a "poorly" running 347 if it was just a couple hundo out of reach.Thanks a bunch. Btw I got the car back today, it still has that ticking and doesnt seem to be running on all 8 cylinders.. however I did go at it shortly with an srt4 just about an hour ago.. a 2nd n third gear punch I had about 2-2.5 cars on him at the end of a ~30-80!

Last edited by 89cobra5.0; 06-19-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

your racing the car even though it has a "tick" and "seems to be running on 7 cylinders"

you think head's are expensive? try blowing that motor up. THAT's gonna be expensive.

Quick Reply: Budget: pro comps to replace e7's on 347?