5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what electric fan setup for my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Default what electric fan setup for my car

Im having trouble setting up my fan shroud and the stock fan on this new alum radiator I got. I was thinking just do away w it and go electric. But I dont know the first thing about a elect fan hookup. Whats a good set up for me? Im thinking taking out the shroud altogether. Can those experienced w elect fan chime in please.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I don't know if its good or not but i've got one just like this (don't remember where it came from so it may be this) for sale if you want it. email me at jcon@udel.edu and i'll try to get you a picture.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/175/10002/-1
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

Proform electric fan thats what im running and i love it you can find it on summitracing.com part #PRO-67015 it will run you about 139 bucks with shroud and all or if you have some money to drop flexalite Part# FLX -175 or a bigger one FLX-185
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Theres this one-

http://www.pdfoo.com/ford/133-9625-pdf.html
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

I'm running these guys right here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4852/

I like 'em, they got rubber flaps on the top and bottom that will open up on the highway to allow extra air-flow instead of it just having to go through the fan openings, you can see them in the pics at the top, there's probably 6 or so of them

Last edited by Liquid_02; 08-03-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 PM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

alls of those are way better then the clutch fans drivin by the water pump pulley you will gain about 10-15 horse just by doing the electric fans so its a win win to me
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cottoncandymustang
alls of those are way better then the clutch fans drivin by the water pump pulley you will gain about 10-15 horse just by doing the electric fans so its a win win to me
Not entirely true... Only when the fans are off are they more efficient, when the fans are running, they actually draw more power from the engine than the clutch fan would due to the inefficiency of converting energy, twice. From mechanical to electrical (engine to Alternator) then electrical back to mechanical (Battery to Fan), you lose, I believe if I remember correctly, 20% efficiency whenever you convert energy, so that's about a 30ish% efficiency loss.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

I dig the proform cost.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
Not entirely true... Only when the fans are off are they more efficient, when the fans are running, they actually draw more power from the engine than the clutch fan would due to the inefficiency of converting energy, twice. From mechanical to electrical (engine to Alternator) then electrical back to mechanical (Battery to Fan), you lose, I believe if I remember correctly, 20% efficiency whenever you convert energy, so that's about a 30ish% efficiency loss.
wow i really never heard that before where did you get these facts from really? i need to look in to them thats kinda interesting to me are you baseing those facts far as engery loss or what? maybe its not clicking in my head. so by robbing amps with the electric fans thats actaully putting stress on the motor? and dont get me wrong im not being a smart a** or a ***** i just dont know how you would rob power with the electric fans i know it puts a load on the battery and altenator when there on and yea i can see that .. kinda... explain i really do want to know honeslty
Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

I dont know what hes talkin about either LOLL

Quick Reply: what electric fan setup for my car