5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

White smoke related to short?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Default White smoke related to short?

Last week I replaced the alternator in my '89 GT, and since I was throwing in a 100-amp, I went ahead and replace the charge cable. I ran a big piece of heavy duty 2-0 cable behind the radiator clip, around the battery, over to the starter solenoid. I spliced in a big fuse link, which I bolted in between two large aluminum ring brackets (big mothers... machined L-shaped things that screwed onto the ends of the 2-0 cable).

In the last few days, I've noticed the following events.

1) Under load (clutch out) at low RPM in 2nd gear, a puff of white smoke as I came to a stop.
2) Radio has turned off briefly a few times
3) Headlights flickered the other night
4) Today at lunch, similar situation with white smoke (low RPM/2nd gear)

When I got back to work, I popped the hood to take a look. I noticed that the electrical tape I'd used to insulate the ring brackets and fuse link had been rubbing a bit on the frame, and had worn through. I poked the wire to make sure it wasn't touching the frame, and sure enough I saw a small spark (bad - this is near the battery).

I quickly wrapped the connection in a thick piece of rubber, which is all I could find to use. I plan to get some heater hose, or just some rubber hose and some friction tape or something tonight to really beef up the insulation on this spot.

Here's my big question: I've surmised that the electrical quirks were caused by this short, and I'm almost positive that I'm correct about that. The big mystery to me is the white smoke. My theory is that when the engine is at low RPM under load, there's more vibration, and the cable rubs the frame, shorting the positive battery terminal on the starter solenoid (and hence the ignition coil). It seems to me this would cause a misfire - does this seem like a sound theory?

I would like to avoid checking compression on all the cylinders, etc... If this seems plausible and I don't see the problem recur after I reinforce the cable, I'd like to just forget about it. Right now I have the nagging fear that it's something like a head gasket (although this seems unlikely to me).

The engine runs clean and well with no smoke or loss of power under all conditions except for those two instances of white smoke. If anyone has a thought or two on this, please chime in. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

double post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

probably the clutch

If you think it is elctrical I would get it taken care of before your car burns to the ground
Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
probably the clutch

If you think it is elctrical I would get it taken care of before your car burns to the ground
I'm definitely not burning the clutch... Also, the puff came from the tailpipe direction, not from under the engine compartment (today wind was blowing from behind the car).

I can take care of the problem if it's the short I found... planning to wrap it in friction tape, plastic conduit, or a short piece of heater hose later tonight... For now it's wrapped in a strip of 1/8" thick rubber.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

He's handling the electrical...

What would make you say it is the clutch? It would have to be seriously raped hard to smoke, especially from the tailpipes. Not to mention he would smell the clutch and feel it slip if it were that bad.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
He's handling the electrical...

What would make you say it is the clutch? It would have to be seriously raped hard to smoke, especially from the tailpipes. Not to mention he would smell the clutch and feel it slip if it were that bad.

The clutch is a Ford Racing clutch, cable, & clutch quadrant and grips well.

The smoke did have a smell to it, something like partially burned gas maybe. Not burning oil or coolant as far as I can tell.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Also, it does run well. I beat up a 96-98 SVT Cobra on the highway on my commute this morning .
Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I thought he said his clutch was going out. If it is like mine, it will slip all the time just driving it around normal.

the part when you typed (clutch out) I thought you meant bad clutch, my bad
Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I thought he said his clutch was going out. If it is like mine, it will slip all the time just driving it around normal.

the part when you typed (clutch out) I thought you meant bad clutch, my bad
Nah I just meant that I didn't have it depressed... Probably bad practice to engine brake down to 1000-1200 RPM... maybe I should depress the clutch a little sooner than that... I'm still pretty new to standard shift, so I'm still refining my technique
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I never use the engine to slow down. It is harder on brakes. I owned an isuzu trooper one time that would go through twice as much oil when using the motor to slow down. I got use to not using the engine. Driving through town I had to though. This thing had no brakes. I didn't even have the brake booster hooked up. lol

Quick Reply: White smoke related to short?