5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

3g Help....amp light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Default 3g Help....amp light.

Installed a 3g alternator.
This is what i have done...

I cut the larger of the two connectors, and put rings on the two black and orange wires, attached those to the charge post as well as the 4 gauge charge wire that runs to the positive terminal. I spliced a white wire and connector from the ASI clip to the separate receiver on the 3G alternator

Anyone know whats wrong?

(i also wired in an electric fan, not sure if that could cause it but...)

Thanks for any and all advise.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Hmm, I did the same thing... Hopefully I do not have the same problems....Bump, bump!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

yeah!! bump bymp....
Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

YOU DONT NOT NEED TO HOOK UP THOSE ORANGE AND BLACK WIRES THEY ARE A FIRE HAZARD, THEY ARE NEED MADE TO SUPPORT THE CURRENT SUPPLIED BY THE 3G ALT, REMOVE THEM!

that is all.

as for your amp meter....did you have the alt test before you installed it, or is it new?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

alt. is brand new. Are you sure those black wires aren't needed?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

The black wires are barely large enough to handle the stock amperage. The 4 gage cable is capable of the higher output alternator's amperage. By keeping the black and orange wires, you risk them carrying too much amperage. By overloading these smaller gage wires they can melt or catch fire.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

all the directions i have seen say keep both the [orange and black] wires and run the fused 4 gauge as well... i tried it both with those b/o wires and without and had the same results...AMP light on the dash.
I rehooked up the black/orange wires since it seemed to make no difference. If what you guys are suggesting, the ASI connector harness and the 4 gauge is the only wires i should use for the install? and just eliminate the other three wires completely?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Eliminate what wires? The two black and orange wires are the original power wires and get upgraded to the 4 gage. The other wire that was originally in that connection...the connection that you cut off to gain access to the black and orange wires... requires a connecter be soldered/crimped on and plugged into the alternator. It is the white wire. The other stock connector can plug directly into the alternator. As for the black/orange wires being necessary or not... I'm calling PA Performance today and asking if they are or are not required. I'm gutting my wiring harnesses so I'm going to get rid of them if they are not required.

For some awesome reason Ford splices these two black/orange wires together about 4 inches away from the connector into what looks like one wire of the same gage. It may be larger but I don't think it is. Brilliant.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Angry

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Eliminate what wires? The two black and orange wires are the original power wires and get upgraded to the 4 gage. The other wire that was originally in that connection...the connection that you cut off to gain access to the black and orange wires... requires a connecter be soldered/crimped on and plugged into the alternator. It is the white wire. The other stock connector can plug directly into the alternator. As for the black/orange wires being necessary or not... I'm calling PA Performance today and asking if they are or are not required. I'm gutting my wiring harnesses so I'm going to get rid of them if they are not required.

For some awesome reason Ford splices these two black/orange wires together about 4 inches away from the connector into what looks like one wire of the same gage. It may be larger but I don't think it is. Brilliant.
Sometimes the Quality of my Ford really pisses me off. No more then bad diractions.

The wiring directions that came with my 3G said to splice that other connector off the ASI plug. so ill have to remedy that. Thanks guys. Kinda sucks to buy a kit with bad directions. Might have to pick up a new ASI harness since i cut it pretty close but we will see.

On a good note, i drove the car to work today. First time she has seen pavement in 10 months.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

[PS KEEP ME POSTED ON WHAT PA SAYS]

Quick Reply: 3g Help....amp light.