5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 3-4 Slider question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 AM
xperimental

Default T5 3-4 Slider question

I am currently rebuilding a T5 out of a 93 and had a question about the 3-4 slider orientation. I have heard that the groove in the slider (arrow) should be towards the input shaft, but as you can see in the picture mine is towards the output shaft. All the Tremec service manual says is to mark the slider with the hub and put it back together the way you found it. Before I yanked it out, 3rd and 4th gears were working perfectly. My question is, does the direction of the slider really matter???

Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I don't know the answer you your question but, was wondering what symptoms you were having to open the case to begin with if they worked perfectly?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM
xperimental

The issue I had was with 1st and 2nd. All other gears worked perfectly.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:53 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

so it shifted fine through 3rd and 4th with the slider like that?
(that is 3rd and 4th gear if I am remembering correctly)

Did replace the slider that goes to reverse gear and were you able to get it new without buying the assembly?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM
xperimental

Once again, I have never had a problem with 3rd and 4th. They shifted perfectly. My guess is that the orientation of the slider doesn't matter. Makes me wonder what the groove was for. Anyway, as far as 1st and 2nd go, the hub on the mainshaft for the 1-2 slider cracked (asking around this is fairly common). I wound up buying the entire mainshaft assembly. This assembly includes the shaft, the 1-2 slider, and the first and second syncro assemblies. I didn't want to mess around with a used shaft and the possibility of a mismatch between the hub and the slider.

FYI: I bought the parts from D&D. After calling around a little bit more (after I got my parts) it appears that I overpaid by around $75. If you need T5 parts, call around and you will see that the prices vary a lot.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Someone will chime in and help you with the groove.

It doesn't seem like it would matter either way unless, it is something sorta like the hole on the case that has to be lined up with the input retainer to let fluid fall on the bearings....that is the only reason I see it would need a groove.

thanks for the fyi on d&d. I priced the slider for my 3550 and wound up I would up have to get the whole reverse gear assembly. It looks a lot better than the one in your pic you posted so, I guess I came out in the good anyway. thanks!!!

I found a pic of my slider, they are different though.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-15-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM
xperimental

I decided to go right to the source and ask Tremec. See their response below. In short, the part is symmetric and it doesn't matter the direction, but it should be put back on the way it was found.

My question:
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009
To: Rob Sheppard
Subject: RE: TTC Send Us a Message Form
One more question for you about the WC T5 transmission (Tag #1352-208):
The transmission I am working on has a groove on the 3rd-4th gear slider. The service manual says to mark the slider and hub so that they can be put back together exactly the way they were. While pulling the transmission apart I noticed that the groove is facing the output shaft. I marked them as the service manual said to do and am planning on putting them back together as I found them, but someone I was talking to mentioned that the groove (in some cases it’s an extra large chamfer) should face the input shaft not the output. This was their opinion and was not based upon facts. 3rd and 4th gears were working perfectly before the trans came out, so flipping it around just because someone “thinks” it should face the other way seems like a bad idea to me. Can you help?

Response from Tremec:

From: Rob Sheppard [mailto:rob.sheppard@ttcautomotive.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009
To: ……
Subject: RE: TTC Send Us a Message Form
The 3/4 sleeves are symmetrical , so they will work in either direction. The chamfer is there to ID the model and to easily note its position for re-assembly. Tremec adds a laser mark on the assembly (side of the hub & sleeve)to aid in the exact re-assembly of components. Orientation of the chamfer is not important on the ¾. However the 5th synchronizer must always have the chamfer to the rear. Issues with clearance to the casting will arise if this is not followed. To confuse the issue, we use both ID grooves AND chamfers to ID the parts. The grooves can be on a chamfer or on the opposite side. In general, I like to have the ¾ chamfer forward, BUT as I have pointed out, it can work either way. Bottom line is when re-assembling, copy what was original.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

so you still don't know if it came from the factory like that or not?