5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Im going to kill myself or the car!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
3InFlArEdQuArTeR18X12

Angry Im going to kill myself or the car!!

I purchased an 88 5.0 from a mechanic who supposedly bought it from a guy who worked at a machine shop. yea right! When i first got the car about a year ago i noticed a ticking sound coming from the top end. Its was quiet and i didnt really pay any attention to it because the car was fast and it didnt really bother me. Months down the road it has become a problem because i cant seem to find out what it is, iv noticed a power loss, and the sound has gotten considerably louder. Iv changed the header gaskets and roller lifters last month didnt do anything. a speed shop owner told me the lifter bores are warn and i should have put over sized lifters in, but i told that to a machine shop owner and he said thats ballony and that it probably has the wrong size pushrods in it. please help!!! keep in mind it has gt40 heads from a 96 explorer and things in the engine bay do seem kind of slapped together, but none the less i at least want the motor to run right. can anyone solve my everyday stress? aaaahhhh!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

does it have aftermarket roller rockers?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
calgarynotch

im going through the exact same thing. every once and awhile i would start my car and id hear a loud valve noise and it seemed to have fairly loud valvetrain to begin with. but this week i did a nice burnout and was bouncing it off the stock limiter and after i did that it stayed loud...mostly on the passengers side. so i pulled my valve covers off and all the rods are tight because i thought maybe it was a loose valve.

please help both of us. haha. i have stock E7's instead of gt40's and the engine was supposedly rebuilt this past Christmas as its spotless with all new gaskets
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You don't need oversized lifters. Did you torque your rockers down correctly? Have you checked your valve train geometry?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

I had the exact same problem after purchasing my 88' GT. I drove it for about 4 days and noticed the ticking sound. I was told it sounded like a Lifter sticking and I ran some Lucas through it, along with some Seafoam but to no avail. I eventually ended up completely rebuilding the engine, and we couldn't figure out what the problem had been. After finishing the rebuild I pulled the car out for a drive. Got out to clean up the tools and noticed a long rod, which had been twisted to look like a drill bit.
Oil Pump seized up, Oil Pump Drive Shaft twisted and snapped off at the distributor.
Just some imput. Maybe check the oil pump, just in case.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
3InFlArEdQuArTeR18X12

yea the rockers are bolt down and i when i changed my lifters i torqued the rockers to 22 pounds. i thought maybe trying to change the oil pump and pickup tube. i got the pump just need to get the pickup tube. ill let you know how it goes when i change that! idk what else to do. im buying a 70mm throttle body this weekend, she runs rich and i think the air/fule mix is way off since it should have a 65 on it to match the explorer intake.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

wtf is it with your screen name choice?? need it any longer?? I tried to read the long post but your screen name was to distracting
Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Ticking can be a very frustrating thing to chase, I am not a professional builder but I do have some experience, here are some of the ticking things I've chased on the three mustangs I've owned:

1 ticking noise tracked down to be the belt tensioner, easy to check start up the car with the serpentine belt off.

2 ticking tracked down to be alternator bearings, same check as #1.

3 more ticking, this time it was an exhaust leak, check header gaskets and header to h-pipe connection and use locking header bolts. I like the totally stainless ones but opinions vary.

4 yet more ticking, this one was hard to find, current mustang has GT-40 heads and I had the heads overhauled before installation. Turned out there was a missing thermactor plug. You can't see it but if you stick your hand between the back of the heads and the firewall you can sure feel it.

5 improper valve train setup - includes making mistakes on setting lash and improper length pushrods.

Have not experienced an oil pump shaft making a ticking but I suppose it is possible, replace with an ARP shaft if you go to the trouble, then you do not have to think about it anymore.

Generally a ticking noise that gets louder over time is not good, especially if it is rpm dependent.

Matt