5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel pressure possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Default fuel pressure possibly?

I have been trying to find out why my car is so slow. One prob i might have is that i bought an adj reg (holley) from lrs and it has no vacuum line on it. I just capped it. Everywere you read says set at 39 vac off for atmosphere pressure showing wot. what is it vac line on? i ran 14.2 @104. Didn't do the simple thing first like change fuel filter,that's next. did everything at once if that makes a diffrence. i know i sound like a broken record but grasping at straws here.

my car has:
cobra intake
bbk 70 mm tb
19 inj
worked over 3 bar heads (gt-40)
mac underdrives
18 deg adv
190 lph pump
e cam
o/r x pipe into flowmasters
tps set (.98)
aod w/shift kit
frpp 3:73
smog and a/c gone
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

so you ran it with no vacuum line on the fuel regulator to the manifold? That is definitely probably a big part of your problem. For your modifications I'd say that is about right on the fuel pressure psi though.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Back-in-Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by raftdaddy
I have been trying to find out why my car is so slow. One prob i might have is that i bought an adj reg (holley) from lrs and it has no vacuum line on it. I just capped it. Everywere you read says set at 39 vac off for atmosphere pressure showing wot. what is it vac line on? i ran 14.2 @104. Didn't do the simple thing first like change fuel filter,that's next. did everything at once if that makes a diffrence. i know i sound like a broken record but grasping at straws here.

my car has:
cobra intake
bbk 70 mm tb
19 inj
worked over 3 bar heads (gt-40)
mac underdrives
18 deg adv
190 lph pump
e cam
o/r x pipe into flowmasters
tps set (.98)
aod w/shift kit
frpp 3:73
smog and a/c gone
Need more info. what were your 60' times? are you spinning out of the hole?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
ramz28
1st Gear Member

u need to put a vac line on the reg first. if you cap it the reg will never open to allow more fuel at WOT. just my .02
Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

don't have 60. no real spin. tires barley spin but just for a few feet.i'm braking to 2000 then letting go.any higher and it just spins then slows.....etc it has a hard launch then slows then goes. all high rpm has power that's why i figure it's a fuel/air issue.
As for the vac line the regulater does not come with one. the link for it is http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9968HLY. just a set screw is all.no mention of what to do with vac line in instructions. so i capped it. and i got a guy at work with a 92 prelude buggin me.so this is an emergency
Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

The fuel filter was a huge problem. now i can only brake till 1300 rpm before they want to break loose. but still have no idea what to set the pressure at. it stays the same pressure all the time.it seems i either run rich at idle or lean the top end. obviously run rich at idle.i have a crappy idle now stalls even.took it for a bunch of runs , the pressure is now 46. guess i gotta buy a new reg ????? holley talks like this is the new thing about a spring bla blah..........it's crap. but it is definatly possible i don't have something else right. any more suggestions?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raftdaddy
don't have 60. no real spin. tires barley spin but just for a few feet.i'm braking to 2000 then letting go.any higher and it just spins then slows.....etc it has a hard launch then slows then goes. all high rpm has power that's why i figure it's a fuel/air issue.
As for the vac line the regulater does not come with one. the link for it is http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9968HLY. just a set screw is all.no mention of what to do with vac line in instructions. so i capped it. and i got a guy at work with a 92 prelude buggin me.so this is an emergency
lol messed up car or not you should smoke the crap out of that.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94ford5liter
lol messed up car or not you should smoke the crap out of that.
+1 you should blow his doors off in reverse I would bet money for a better fpr on a organized race if hes serious about his prelude and wants to race.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know i'd beat him,but i want him scared enough to shut up!!!.

I did some reading on bad idle and cleaned my maf,no diffrence.it really seems to me that could be an issue. it idles up and down a dozen times then levels out. after a few starts it just does it a couple of times. but if i take it to work or it sits all night same thing. i read the maf will send the com into a default if giving a bad reding and give you a poor air fuel ratio which in my mind would give poor performance. so how do i know it's doin it?.thier is no check engine light. i don't know if it is a computer thing,could allso be the fact the engine warms up too.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i have no experience with that FPR but that pic looks like the set screw is hollowed out, maybe thats the vacuum source?
it HAS to have a vacuum source somewhere going to it, otherwise it wont provide more pressure as your RPM's increase.

i have this FPR i just took off mine. Extremely accurate.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAX-8F002-005/

looks like this one, except Blue, and Paxton brand name, not aeromotive. $45 shipped and its yours.

Last edited by mattdel; 09-26-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure possibly?