5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default posi traction

when i bought my 88 lx a few months back, the guy claimed he put a 373 gear in when he converted the back brakes to discs. i have no idea if this is true or not but i do know the car is just a one tire fire. what do i need to do to convert it to positive traction? thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Well, it's easy to tell the difference between disc and drum brakes. They don't look anything like each other.

BASIC DISC

BASIC DRUM

First off, I dislike the posi-traction name. That's a manufacturer specific name and part type for a limited slip differential. Unless you're a GM guy- let's move on.

Second, adding a limited slip differential, or LSD, isn't very difficult on your FOX. It should have a 8.8" rear axle. As far as converting it- you'll need a LSD for your ratio (usually fits a range of gear ratios), gear oil, friction modifier (depending on the type of LSD), a shim kit and crush sleeve (possibly- depending on the pinion depth). A good shop should have the last two parts. If you're doing it yourself, you'll also need the dial gauges for setting up the runout and backlash measurements.

Lastly, while it's not a necessity, I would also recommend a rear cover girdle. It simply replaces the stock cover and applies pressure to the diff. bearing caps.

Last edited by socalwrench; 10-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Wow. First of all, the OP didn't ask the difference between drum and disk brakes. He said he didn't know if the car actually had a 3.73 in it or not.

Second, while I can tell you're one of those Ford fanboys, Posi-Traction is a pretty universal generic term (and certainly the most commonly used) for a Limited Slip Differential. Since we're being all technical here, Ford calls it Trac Lok. Packard actually came up with the term LSD.

You actually don't like it when someone says Posi-Traction?

As for the rear end not having LSD? Was this a 4-Cyl swap car? Is it possible that the car still has a 7.5"? No V8 Foxes came with an open gear. The 8.8's are all Limited Slip. If it's got an 8.8 and one tire fire syndrome, the clutches are more than likely worn out, and in that case, you're only looking at about $100 for a rebuild kit. If you can do it yourself.

For the 3.73, jack the back of the car out. Rotate the rear tire and count how many times the driveshaft spins completely around with one revolution of the tire. If it's a 3.73, it will be just less than 4 revolutions of the driveshaft.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Sidewayz6.0; 10-04-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

bbwaaaahaaaaaaa ....owend!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^
Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

sidewayz is correct, if you have an 8.8 rear end (all foxes with v8 stock had them), your track lock is worn out. if i recall tho, the rebuild kits are $55 unless they have gone up in price
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Not trying to high jack the thread

but i have a 5.0 ( obviously ) and its got the 8.8 i am 99.99% sure its original

i hard er jacked up like 2 years ago. and did the good ole rotate the one wheel and see if i got a posi! ( im been a chevy guy since i was a kid deal with it )

and oh snap the other wheel went the same way yay!

every burnout i have ever done has only thrown down rubber on the left side ( i think )

even in the grass on a slope i was spinning but only the left...

is this the clutches and should i rebuild?

doing it myself is no problem

done pirating thread
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert
Not trying to high jack the thread

but i have a 5.0 ( obviously ) and its got the 8.8 i am 99.99% sure its original

i hard er jacked up like 2 years ago. and did the good ole rotate the one wheel and see if i got a posi! ( im been a chevy guy since i was a kid deal with it )

and oh snap the other wheel went the same way yay!

every burnout i have ever done has only thrown down rubber on the left side ( i think )

even in the grass on a slope i was spinning but only the left...

is this the clutches and should i rebuild?

doing it myself is no problem

done pirating thread
i could be wrong but its gota be the clutches because my 93 has the original 8.8 and i spin both tires all day when i light em up
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Back-in-Black
1st Gear Member

Both tires should spin. You need to rebuild. I would bet the clutches are worn but only show the problem under load.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

ill hijack it too! ha

Im having the same issue as the other hijacker. I got a 89 gt 5.0 vert automatic. When i stop on it only the left burns rubber. SOOO im thinking i need a rebuild as well. Ill buy the kit but have a shop do it cause I lack those particular skills needed. Estimate? Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

nitrous fed o3 gt pm me your vin number and ill run it on car fax see if it a real 5.0l or whether its a swap. lol i bought the unlimited 30 day reports and ment to buy a one time single report lol so you can if you want i wont charge you nothing but being the age nothing may show up.

Quick Reply: posi traction