5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PCV/breather with s/c question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i have a line that runs from my exhaust to the breather on the driver side valve cover. the exhaust passing by the tube in the exhaust creates a vacuum, sucking pressure out of the crankcase

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Here is the page out of my Procharger install manual. You can set yours up the same way. I mean, a centri is a centri basically.
Hope it helps ya. I also added a breather in place of my oil fill cap.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 AM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

Yea I just have the intake side pluged and a little filter on the valve cover.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Here is the page out of my Procharger install manual. You can set yours up the same way. I mean, a centri is a centri basically.
Hope it helps ya. I also added a breather in place of my oil fill cap.
That is how I set mine up and it ran like crap. Way too rich I think. I think I just need it tuned with that setup, because the last two tuners must have just tuned around the air intake leak that existed through the PCV.

I almost through break-in on the new heads and cam, so I will be installing the #42 injectors and new mass air, then headed to the dyno to get it tuned for the new setup. I will discuss the PCV issue with the tuner and see what he says.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
i have a line that runs from my exhaust to the breather on the driver side valve cover. the exhaust passing by the tube in the exhaust creates a vacuum, sucking pressure out of the crankcase
That's a good idea. I wonder if I could just T off the exhaust connection to the smog pump and run my breather line to that. A little vacuum on the crankcase is probably good to keep seals from leaking. I might have to try a setup like that.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

I have a question about the pcv on the back of the lower intake.. it has a hose leading off of it correct? and what does this hose look like b/c i can't seem to find it and i had just pulled it off lastnight.. or so i think.. the hose on the vacum tree saying either 8 or s or something the BIG hose.. that goes to the upper intake right? and the pcv hose goes to the upper intake as well? Can i just plug the pcv or leave it open or do i need to put it where it belongs?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

I use this system and seems to be fine. I do have a LS1 electric set up but pulls to much at this point.
Attached Thumbnails PCV/breather with s/c question-393strokerbreather-set-up.jpg  
Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Raphs50
That's a good idea. I wonder if I could just T off the exhaust connection to the smog pump and run my breather line to that. A little vacuum on the crankcase is probably good to keep seals from leaking. I might have to try a setup like that.

its called a header evac kit.

as far as hooking it to the smog pump, ive heard of people doing that before but the pump usually clogs with oil and fails. never tried it myself tho
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chickenbutt
I have a question about the pcv on the back of the lower intake.. it has a hose leading off of it correct? and what does this hose look like b/c i can't seem to find it and i had just pulled it off lastnight.. or so i think.. the hose on the vacum tree saying either 8 or s or something the BIG hose.. that goes to the upper intake right? and the pcv hose goes to the upper intake as well? Can i just plug the pcv or leave it open or do i need to put it where it belongs?
On mine, which is the 93 Cobra intake, the PVC has a hose that goes to a T. One side of the connects to the upper intake on the underside (you can't see it unless you remove the upper intake) and the other goes to the upper intake just above the driver side valve cover closest to the winshield. I think this allows oil that accumilates in the upper intake to drain back into the crankcase via the PCV.

It's required here in CA if you want to be able to pass a smog test. Other states, I think you could disconnect it, as long as you plug the upper intake connections. Just run a hose from the PCV to the fenderwell or somewhere it can just vent to the atmosphere.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

I have an update on this issue, so I thought I would share. The guy who tuned the car for me (who did an awesome job) told me to leave the PCV connected to the upper intake and connect the breather line from the valve cover to the pipe between my MAF sensor and the S/C. He said the 6 lbs of boost I was producing would not be too much for the PCV to handle (it should be held closed during boost) and placing the valve cover breather line before the S/C would create the needed suction on the breather line.
All is well with this setup. My seals aren't leaking oil now, and the car is running great.