5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

x cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by fordboy5.0
i would recomend the f-cam if your looking more for performance rather than gas mileage and drive ability if you have an auto you might have to get a stall converter but the f-cam is for more of high rpm horsepower you might also have to worry about piston to valve clearence with its .512 lift but any of the ford racing cams make good horsepower i think you would be pleased with it if its just going to be a street car you might also want to look into the e-303 its a good cam for street use and has better drive ability has no valve overlap (better gas mileage) and makes good horse power and would go good with your edelbrock intake.
.....ummmmmmm no
Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

i wanted the comp XE270HR cam its similar to the F303 but has different duration. but i found a good deal on the F303 so i just went with that. the comp cam is like $260. im satisfied with my F303 cam but then again i havent had anything else besides stock. power kicks in around 3k and when i shift it right in range of the power. if you have the F303 cam just throw it in but you will need to upgrade the springs regardless of what cam you use.

i didnt have any ptv issues with the .512 lift. just stay with the 1.6 rockers so you dont add any more

and the drive ability is just fine. it drives just like stock did just makes a lopey idle

Last edited by nacanitihs; 10-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pony831
Ok the X cam is out, since I'm going to need to fly cut the pistons...so now im down between the B or F cam... i know the B is for low end torque and it says high rpm hp...and the F for mid-top rang. Which cam (between the B & f cam) would better match my edelbrock rpm manifold??
Depends on your engine. Some of the people I talked to told me i'd need to cut my pistons & some people on this forum even claimed it would. Problem was not one of them had installed on, it was all an "I heard" Regardless I still checked piston to valve clearance after installing & I was fine. I put mine in with some gt40p's & replaced the lifters at the same time. I ran that for about a year & a half then had to replace the heads with some e7's because the passenger side head was warped after I drove the car home from the track... I was trying to drive/let it cool/drive/let it cool for quite a distance & it got quite hot. I drove it to the track & the fan tried to leave with the water pump's shaft, I just went to a parts store & replaced the water pump then limped home. (mind you the track is very far from where I live & replacing parts was cheaper than a tow bill).
In any case I put stock e7's with the stock valvetrain in, but left the cam alone & had no issue in over 3 years of daily driving/occasional race. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it though. The only reason I never did was because I intended on buying aftermarket heads shortly after & didn't want to waste money to turn around & have to buy something else, now I have too many project cars that I have money wrapped up in so I never get around to it.

For the record, the letter cams (& all single pattern) aren't too friendly with stockish heads. You'd still get a little more power, but they're a bad choice due to the horrible flowing exhaust. I got my x cam with the intent of buying some aftermarket heads, if I would have known that I would have been wrapped up in other projects I would have went with a dual pattern over the letter. & I definitely agree with mjr, if at all possible upgrade the valvetrain when you swap the cam... otherwise I'd say hold off on putting the cam in until you can.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 AM
pony831
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
trick flow stage 2 cam. $165 new.
I wont have to fly cut the pistons? Right now I'm just going to leave the stock heads BUT I'm going to upgrade springs and get new lifters.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
i wanted the comp XE270HR cam its similar to the F303 but has different duration. but i found a good deal on the F303 so i just went with that. the comp cam is like $260. im satisfied with my F303 cam but then again i havent had anything else besides stock. power kicks in around 3k and when i shift it right in range of the power. if you have the F303 cam just throw it in but you will need to upgrade the springs regardless of what cam you use.

i didnt have any ptv issues with the .512 lift. just stay with the 1.6 rockers so you dont add any more

and the drive ability is just fine. it drives just like stock did just makes a lopey idle
lulz....shoulda went with the comp cam. i've had B, my neighbor runs an F cam, they all kick around 3k rpm and he even has aluminum heads. i have the cam you brought up from comp. it pulls F'in hard throughout the whole RPM range. there is no "kick" except i wish i would have gotten their magnum cam, same intake lift but the exhaust lift is higher like .530 or something, same duaration iirc.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 10-15-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pony831
I wont have to fly cut the pistons? Right now I'm just going to leave the stock heads BUT I'm going to upgrade springs and get new lifters.
not from everything Ive HEARD. (trick flow tech also said i would be fine.)

I would use 1.6 rockers, and a definitely check your piston to valve clearance. The trickflow tech said if it is a little to close just retard the cam 4*.

Ill be pulling apart my car at the end of the month, have it back up and running early next year. Ask me then.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by 302army187

Ill be pulling apart my car at the end of the month, have it back up and running early next year. Ask me then.

god you take forever!!

i have no room to talk. i have mine all back together, ever since the head came back fixed, except the plenum and intake tube. i stopped working cause ihave having severe back pain...turns out my liver wasnt functioning lol
Old 10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
god you take forever!!

i have no room to talk. i have mine all back together, ever since the head came back fixed, except the plenum and intake tube. i stopped working cause ihave having severe back pain...turns out my liver wasnt functioning lol
yea around here theres this thing called WINTER. lol.

no real great weather until around February.

plus i wanna take my time and do a ton of little things the car needs. Just got my heads and intake back from my engine builder who port matched the intake, and ported the lower a bit. Time to start ordering parts off my wishlist.

Also going to pull the block, check the bearings, and clean up the engine bay just a bit. No hole filling or wire hiding is planed, but some of that could happen depending how this winter goes.

you might wanna go see a few doctor's about that liver man. Or just stop drinking like a fish scene you got the baby news
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
fordboy5.0
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=mjr46;6570142].....ummmmmmm no[/

ok since you know everything
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordboy5.0
Originally Posted by mjr46
.....ummmmmmm no
ok since you know everything