5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rack and pinion steel lines won't seal...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Rack and pinion steel lines won't seal...Help!!

Does anybody know the proper way to seal the 2 steel lines that thread into the rack at both ends(NOT the pressure or return line). I put teflon seals on them and the leak is so bad I can't drive. When i removed them i didn't see any traces of a seal, so i don't think seals go on them, maybe thread sealant or teflon tape?

Sorry Mjr for 2 posts on the same topic, i thought the other thread was gonna go away. You can delete this one.

Last edited by camaroeater; 11-14-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

don't worry about the 2 threads, just go with it!! make sure you didn't overtighten and crack the threaded base, the housings are aluminum, I've done such before
Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

There are small white O ring seals that must be replaced on the ends of the lines. They are made of teflon, but look like plastic. My new rack came with a set. They were too small to go over the end of the fittings, so I heated them in hot water to soften them and then I put them on the end of a pair of needle nose pliers to stretch them out, then they slid right on. DO NOT over tighten the fittings. The O rings seal it up, NOT the threads. So don't put any tape on the threads. And when they are properly tightened, they will still feel loose and rock back and forth and swivel... this is normal. As long as there is a new seal on each end, you won't have any problems.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Im gonna remove all four lines from the rack and only put seals on the return and pressure line. Im pretty sure I over torqued the pressure and return line.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

good luck this time , just go slow
Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Ok, so i replaced the teflon seals on the pressure and return line, then reattached everything. The pressure and return line are sealed fine, but those 2 steel lines are just pouring with fluid where they thread next to the pressure/return line. Only 1 of 4 connections sealed on the steel lines...wtf!! Im gonna take wild guess that I should of NEVER removed those 2 steel lines. Any ideas anyone...
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Alright, im over the whole power steering system and want to go manuel. Does anyone know what ratio and brand to get. Also, is there anything I can do to make my car drivable for the mean time since it won't hold fluid...thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

My 1st thought would be Flaming River if yo're going to go manual.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ing-Components
Old 11-15-2009, 03:07 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I'll probablyy stick with power steering, i was just really pissed off earlier. Im gonna pull everything and try once more. I want to either apply thread sealant or teflon tape to the threads on the steel lines. Is there anything better to use?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Here's the deal... you need to step back and take a breath. You are killing yourself over a relatively simple problem.

After you have calmed down, remove the hard lines from the rack and take them to a bench grinder with a wire brush attached. Clean all the threads REALLY well. Get a plumbers wire brush and clean the inside threads of the rack as best as you can. Go buy a tube of Permatex Hard Setting thread sealant. Put a liberal amount on all the threads and then re-install the hard lines. These must be tightened pretty good, but not over tightened. Now walk away and let it sit overnight so the thread sealant can fully cure.

The next morning, fill the system and check for leaks. If you're still having a problem with one of the fittings that requires the small white O ring seal, then you probably have a crack in it from over tightening it when you first started messing with them. If this has happened, you'll have no choice but to get a new line. Hopefully you can get this done once and for all before you have a freakin' stroke.

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion steel lines won't seal...Help!!