5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

iac...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

Default iac...?

ive had idle issues for sum time now! it seems to me that the prob has sumn to do with the iac or what controls the iac...if i were to put the car in nutral after i accelerate my rpms would climb to about 3k and hold for about 3 sec b4 they drop very slowly back down to about 1200 or so... for those 3 sec or so i can hear air rushin through the iac untill the iac % comes back down.. what would cause my iac to react so slowly? from what imput does the computer get inorder to make canges to the iac %? could i be having a computer problem? ive tried the following things:

1. replaced iac with 2 new ones
2. adjusted tps to .98
3 unplugged the vehicle speed sensor ( thought i had sumn to do with tire size change)
4 done base idle reset after everything i tried
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i sense a vacuum leak.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
i sense a vacuum leak.
sprayed LOTS of carb cleaner every where.... it didnt seem to have any leaks
unless my lower is leaking and sucking from the crank case.... is that possible? if so how would i find out short of tearin it down?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

idle dashpot function, that is normal, also make sure no carbon build up is in the tb
Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Is is using any oil? It will usually suck oil into the ports when leaking on the bottom.

Have you done a hard reset on the computer? unhooking battery and turning on the headlights to drain any capacitors in it then rehooking it up and letting it go thru the learning process again?
My 88 ran better after doing this.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
idle dashpot function, that is normal, also make sure no carbon build up is in the tb
/

this is not normal and it jus happen one day... before i did any mods to the car i jus hoped it would go away when i upgraded parts... but so far its still there .... if you heard and felt this you would agree.. i can feel this problem pushing the car when i approch a stop sign after a good acceleration....

p.s. i jus removed the iac and if i blow into one of the holes a small amout of air goes through it.. should this be 100% closed?

and no carbon n tb .... very clean
Old 11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
Is is using any oil? It will usually suck oil into the ports when leaking on the bottom.

Have you done a hard reset on the computer? unhooking battery and turning on the headlights to drain any capacitors in it then rehooking it up and letting it go thru the learning process again?
My 88 ran better after doing this.
ive reset like you said several times ... after everything i try

if im not using any oil my lower must not be leaking then right?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

Default iac...?

anyone.... ideas?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by wadesquad
/

this is not normal and it jus happen one day... before i did any mods to the car i jus hoped it would go away when i upgraded parts... but so far its still there .... if you heard and felt this you would agree.. i can feel this problem pushing the car when i approch a stop sign after a good acceleration....

p.s. i jus removed the iac and if i blow into one of the holes a small amout of air goes through it.. should this be 100% closed?

and no carbon n tb .... very clean
if it were a 5 speed car then YES!!! it would be normal, but since you are AODE car then ignore what I stated, I have nor the time or care to explain to you the purpose of the dashpot function since it doesn't apply to you in this case...first run a KOER test and check for codes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by wadesquad

1. replaced iac with 2 new ones
2. adjusted tps to .98
3 unplugged the vehicle speed sensor ( thought i had sumn to do with tire size change)
4 done base idle reset after everything i tried
Please reset your TPS between .8v and .9v the .98 crap causes more confusion and problems than id like to explain.

also, sorry for my lack of info, im on my mobile. do you have aftermarket tb, intake, heads, cam or maf?

Quick Reply: iac...?