5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fored Induction...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Default Fored Induction...

I searched to get a little more insight on either supercharging or turbocharging a 5.0 and couldnt really find what i was looking for. Just a couple of questions.

What years did the 5.0 come with forged pistons? and is it safe to run a single turbo with low boost? Id say no more than 8 psi.

Can you mod the stock motor with an H/C/I and still run low boost without a problem?

Ive seen lots of foxes with centrifugal superchargers without alot of engine mods, so is it safer to run a supercharger as opposed to a turbo?

I was talking to one of my friends who owns a 97 cobra with a procharger and we were debating whether a stock 5.0 can take a low amount of boost, blah blah blah. Because i know ive seen a few and heard a few on here. Maybe im misunderstood? I know the 4.6 is a completely different motor, but ive also heard theyre alot easier to boost because theyre a little stronger. Is this true? Thanks to all who read and answer!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
STROKED_LX
1st Gear Member

If im not mistaken only years 5.0L came with forged piston 87-92.
You would have to run low boost and it depends on the condition of the bottom end. I wouldn't trust running boost on high mileage.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

okay thanks, anyone else? I think if i was to get a 5.0 notch id like to run a single turbo with low boost. Bad idea?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

dont hink its the boost that makes it safe..as i am debating on doing a forced induction setup my self ...so far ive read that its not so much as the boost as it is rhee horsepower...

450hp seems to be the bottom ends limits..*** so i have read... alo that not recomended to run over 8psi yet i read somewhere that a guy runs/ran up to 14psi..completly stock engine

thhe most important thing seems to be the tune..

all things i have came across none of my own experience
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

okay, i think if i was going to do a turbo id probably have to go with an ebay kit, granted i go with an alright kit. ive heard good and bad...hit or miss. Can you gimmie some details about what you wanna have for a setup?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

If I remember right, it's not just "don't run more than 8psi of boost" it depends on the size of the turbo/supercharger. Most say 500hp is the limit of stock blocks. If you have a really good tune, you can push the limit. But with a poor tune, your more likely to run into problems. If you run a compression check and it all looks good, it would be safe to run a turbo or supercharger. A lot of people around here have boost with H/C/I. I'm sure someone more qualified to answer will chime in. And I'm just passing on things I've read in previous threads, none of this is from experience.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
okay, i think if i was going to do a turbo id probably have to go with an ebay kit, granted i go with an alright kit. ive heard good and bad...hit or miss. Can you gimmie some details about what you wanna have for a setup?
Don't buy a cheap ebay turbo, from what I've seen their ****. If I remember right, ebay piping and intercooler is okay though.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by newpony
i read somewhere that a guy runs/ran up to 14psi..completly stock engine

thhe most important thing seems to be the tune..

That would be me and true
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the help guys, still open to lots of other info and suggestions. im really planning on being into a nice fox or SN95 by next year. Has anyone on here heard of DEZ Racing? i believe theyre in seekonk and they specialize in mustangs, ive heard good things about them and i think if i was to turbo a notchback or something i would have them do the tuning.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by STROKED_LX
If im not mistaken only years 5.0L came with forged piston 87-92.
You would have to run low boost and it depends on the condition of the bottom end. I wouldn't trust running boost on high mileage.
85-92 forged............not true, plenty of high milage 5.0's out there running 12-15 psi.....it's all in the tune

Quick Reply: Fored Induction...