5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox Rear Discs Auto equalizer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default Equalizer adjust Fox Rear Discs - how to?

How do you make a FOX with disc brakes that can automatically adjust WITHOUT dragging?? Please help to find a solution

I want to add the tbird style rear discs to my fox mustang and have them auto adjust! YES just like a real car!

I have heard a few things, one is if you go with the SSBC solution, you must crawl under the car each time you want to adjust your rear brakes. Directly after your installiation, you might have to do this 4 or 5 times. This is not accecptable, this is back to the dark ages, or fintstones!

I have also heard that you can get either a 1994-1995 e-brake or 1999-2004 cobra parking brake handle to help resolve the issue, but am not too sure how this pans out.

I have a 1993 donor car. Since the 1993 cobra was the only 4 lug 4 wheel disc brake fox with the tbird turbocoupe style rear discs (SVO was different setup) it was set up from the factory to auto-adjust the rear discs

There is a mount on the transmission tunnel on the 93 cars that is supposed to work with that years sheathed parking brake cables that will truly allow automatic equalization

I have searched and the best mention of this issue is on the corral on the below link:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1000235

It looks like there is not a definative answer on the web over this one, so lets work this issue out, get some pictures, step-by-step and follow through with a real solution.

I will be the test case, I will follow the concensus on this and photograph my results. I want your insights, instructions, solutions, experiance.

Last edited by Hamutoff; 12-23-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clairification
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

HERE IS SOME RESEARCH, CHECK THE LINKS FOR INFO

E-brake cables with rear disc brakes... HELP!
http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-...akes-help.html

I may experiment with keeping some sort of self-adjuster in the handle.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-brake-qs.html

Here is a link to a thread I started regarding the turbocoupe 43mm rear discs
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0-...ing-valve.html

I have been advised:
the rear calipers on the Tcoupe/SSBC coversion/93 Cobra are Varga 43mm pistons, not the 38mm found on the sn95 cars. Moreover, the SVO rear which is sourced from Lincoln used a huge 54mm piston caliper (SVO/Lincoln 73mm front)

Here are some key words on the topic to aid in searching

cobra emergency brake disc mustang
parking lever
rear disc brake conversion
equalizer self adjuster

Foxbody sn95 EMERGENCY brake handle mystery solved! (coral.net)
the newer cables (93+ i believe) on a 92 or older stang, you would need the little bracket that goes in the trans tunnel that the cables attach to.

If we want to retain the self-adjust mechanism, we can add the tranny tunnel mount from 1993 fox mustang

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/automotive/TurboCoupe/

Last edited by Hamutoff; 12-22-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/tcaxle.html

Emergency Brake Cable Brackets
Since the Turbo Coupe has disc brakes, all the emergency brake cables will be different from your stock ones. You will need the new cables to keep your brakes adjusted, so that means you'll need all the related brackets for the cables. Once you're under the car, it's self-explanatory. These are proving to be some of the toughest parts to find for this conversion, so be alert.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone:

1) Adapted the 1987 - 1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe rear brake bracketry to an 87-92 Fox mustang?

2) Adapted the 1993 Mustang (or 93 Cobra) rear brake bracketry to an 87-92 Fox mustang?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:08 AM
justintx75

Originally Posted by Hamutoff
Has anyone:

1) Adapted the 1987 - 1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe rear brake bracketry to an 87-92 Fox mustang?

2) Adapted the 1993 Mustang (or 93 Cobra) rear brake bracketry to an 87-92 Fox mustang?
to answer to Q-1 i am working on it, i purchased the brackets and cables from north race cars.com to return to the factory fox width. very good guy to deal w/ and answered several questions i had. i will update my progress on my 93 coupe 2.3 converson to t/c swap w/ manuel brakes
Old 12-25-2009, 01:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmmm interesting..........
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Ha funny, I had ordered their brackets on the 25, the same day you responded. I have the SBC cast brackets and on their way is the northracecars steel brackets. Just before I checked on this thread I responded to the order confirm email from them and asked for all the info they could provide to me on the bracket and info on successful installs. I mentioned that I would be putting a article together on my site. I will directly compare the two companies brackets ant etc.

justintx75 - cool! Please keep us updated with pics too! its KINDA too bad that you have a 1993 because that one year was different on the adjuster... you should not have issues with the rear adjustment as a conquencene so your install will not the BEST case study for the majority of the fox cars out there, but will still be very useful. I hope you get your project done before mine gets going so I can use your hard work to make my own easier... mine will differ - I will be (or trying to ) : pull the e-brake bracketry out of my 1993 4 banger and installing it into my 1991 coupe... and using the SBC kit's rear caliper bracket

Then will look at my 1992 notchback... maybe fab up a similar bracket {anybody want to buy one? } and using the northracecar rear caliper bracket

hmm wonder if it'll fly... or STOP as the case were

Last edited by Hamutoff; 12-29-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

I now know exactly how to make the swap in a professional factory manner.

I think I will produce and possibly sell the parts required, this will help not only in the 4 lug drum to 4 lug disc but most if not all disc conversions on all drum FOX with e-brake / parking brake HANDLE (not pedal)..

Discs drag a bit anyway, compared to drums, why have them clamp down even more? Why crawl under the car and / or pull the console each time you need to make an adjustment. You probably need to make 2-4 adjustments following the swap as the parts marry, then maybe 1 or 2 a year depending on your driving style, power of the car, brake compounds etc.

Last edited by Hamutoff; 01-15-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default progress report?

Originally Posted by justintx75
to answer to Q-1 i am working on it, i purchased the brackets and cables from north race cars.com to return to the factory fox width. very good guy to deal w/ and answered several questions i had. i will update my progress on my 93 coupe 2.3 converson to t/c swap w/ manuel brakes

Please, any updates to your progress?