5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

spring rates and shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Default spring rates and shocks.

Hey guys, tax returns are looking decent this year and ive decided to have a little fun and upgrade my suspension. I currently have Tokico Blues on the car, but im looking to put springs on as well, what spring rate will work best with the Tokicos? I have been told that HR Super Sports by ONYX before and after researching them i dont think i wanna go that low. Im hoping to keep the front around a 1.5" reason being so i dont have to pick up a bump-steer and the fact of my BBK x-pipe does hang a little low already. I really dont want a super harsh ride either as the roads in my general area aren't the best. I also like a little bit of rake in the suspension, it might just be me but when the car is "leveled" i feel like the top of the rear fender well sits lower then the top of the front which i don't care for (i do also understand the reason of the front fender well being bigger in the first place). Finally what CC plates will work best with the any springs and my current strut package. Will the factory strut bar clear any of the aftermarket CC plates available? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

This does not belong in the tech section just like your last thread about tax money didn't. Tech is here for those who have problems and need help, not information on parts. Also this is basically the same subject as your other thread. I know its not exactly the same but pretty close. Please refrain from posting multiple thread on the same subject. I am not a mod so I can't move it but I will tell you that you are wrong at least.

Yes your strut tower brace will clear CC plates. There are many nice brands out there.
H&R's are nice springs but can be kinda stiff but I guess you could say but by the sounds of it a set of Eibachs would do you nicely. The Pro kit lowers about 1.5 I do believe. I think the front drops a little lower than the back. You should be alright without a bump steer kit and that will only be needed if you feel that it does. Running without one kinda depends on how much of it you can handle but having one does make it better obviously.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

My bad i thought it was the title that had my previous moved, since im trying to find a spring rate that will match the shocks best i figured it would be better to post in tech rather then general discussion, spring rates didnt come across as something that would be "generally" talked about to me at least. Im not asking for the differences in companies drop rate, or how to put them in, rather the proper way to match a set of springs to existing struts and shocks so the suspension works better. Id rather have function over form. However if a moderator does come along and deems that this does still not belong in here, then by all means move it. Im not trying to start any arguments or get on anyones bad side. Today was the first time i have logged into this site in a long time, obviously there have been some changes im not fully aware of as of now.

Last edited by zippo2341; 01-09-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What are your plans for your car? Are you wanting just a great riding DD, a somewhat strip car, a road course feel, what?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

I would like to get the car to handle really good, however it is a daily driver so nothing to harsh. If its at all possible id like the suspension to still perform in a straight line as i go a few times a year to the strip. If i were to invest in the HR super sports which ive heard great things about, but install new poly iso's with the springs would that compensate for the lower drop rate and bring me back up to were id like to be around 1.5? Is anyone running the HR's and tokicos? If you are are they a good combo?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

H&R and the blues will work great together. Adding the isolators won't bring up the drop though I don't think. I would think the drops are measured with isolators in before and after the drop.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

as for a DD I have Eibach sport springs with GR2 shocks/struts and love um.fairly smooth ride & doesnt roll goin round corners like it used to.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I had GR2 shocks in the back and they kinda blow. I've got Strange 10-way adjustables now and they are great. You can adjust them depending on the ride you want.

Have you looked into adjustable lower control arms? The ones with adjustable spring perches. You can change ride height by using a half inch ratchet. The spring perches are threaded and can be raised/lowered in relation to the control arm. Here's a pic of what I mean. In the second picture, the blue threads under the springs are what I am referring to.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM
84gtcustom
2nd Gear Member

hey tony, lookin at ur pic u got the cement blocks on there side. they should be sitting with the holes up/down not side/side. its currenty on the very weak side of that brittle block. I'd hate for one to come down!

just a note. nice clean axle btw.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Thanks, those blocks can handle a lot more than a lightweight fox. Plus the wood helps distributed the loads. Thanks for the concern though. Those pics are from last winter. The car is on it's own feet now.

Quick Reply: spring rates and shocks.