5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 mustang gt cam issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Frosty

Default 95 mustang gt cam issues

i am new to the forums but i have a question about my car and im lookin for some help. i have a 1995 mustang gt with a 5.0L 302. i just rebuilt my motor. first rebuild i have ever done. bored it .30 over. put a ford racing E303 cam in it. has bbk shorty headers. no cats and magnaflow mufflers. cold air intake. emissions eliminator pulley. everything else is stock. marked the distributor when i pulled it out. when i changed the cam it changed the firing order to a 351 firing order. i am confused because i thought that 5.0s already had the 351 firing order but the car wouldnt even run when i put it back together until i changed it to the 351. i believe i have the motor timed correctly because i got help from my dad. i was told that it might be possible that i now have the correct firing order and the correct timing but the computer might be giving the motor fuel at the wrong time. i was wondering if this is possible and if it is, how would i correct it. im really lost and im about to give up on it. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you installed a cam, I assume that you installed the timing gears so that the two dots were lined up?? so unless you set the motor on tdc before cam removal, marking the distributor would mean nothing and if you did not set the motor on tdc and you installed the new cam dot to dot then tried to reinstall distributor according to where you removed it at, then your issue revolves around, YOUR motor is not timed properly and you need to restab the distributor, see the tech articles here for the proper methood
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0-...stributor.html
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Frosty

i did line up the dots and i used a degree wheel and dial indicator and used tdc. i had alot of help from my dad. he has talked to a bunch of people from around our area and we believe that it is timed correctly. thanks for the info though.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

i would just restab the dist even ppl know have done it a million times make a mistake double check that and cross it off the list of possibilities
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Frosty
i did line up the dots and i used a degree wheel and dial indicator and used tdc. i had alot of help from my dad. he has talked to a bunch of people from around our area and we believe that it is timed correctly. thanks for the info though.
fine don't verify ignition timing / distributor placement, keep ASSuming things are set correctly, last time i checked proper troubleshooting begins with deductive reasoning/ verifying knowns and not asking people what they think...but what do i know, i work at wal-mart stocking the candy isle..your in this predicament cause you haven't verified anything
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
fine don't verify ignition timing / distributor placement, keep ASSuming things are set correctly, last time i checked proper troubleshooting begins with deductive reasoning/ verifying knowns and not asking people what they think...but what do i know, i work at wal-mart stocking the candy isle..your in this predicament cause you haven't verified anything
I didnt realise Walmart paid that much! I need to start working there so i can have Mustangs like yours....and the tools....

OP - mjr46 knows his stuff and from every thread i have read regarding trouble shooting, hes usually 99.9% right
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^^^shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, occasionally they let me sweep the floors in the lube and tire section and if I'm lucky I get to haul the used batteries to the back
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Frosty

thats a good. idea. i will check the distributor just so i can cross it off the list. thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

also your first post is kinda confusing, is this car an original v-8 car and not a 6 cyl conversion to v-8??

Quick Reply: 95 mustang gt cam issues