5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5 amp #13 fuse blows instantly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
5.0stang.ryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve58
I've been searching this site for a while today trying to find out why. None of my dash or heater control lights work.

This is one of my winter projects, I took the cluster out, all the bulbs are OK, no melted or heated up wires or nothing burnt in the overlay.

The dimmer switch has a little green corrosion in the rheostat wiring coil area, again no heated up wiring.

My horn and cruise control buttons dont work either,,, thats a different problem that is next.

I'm thinking about jumping the fuse holder and look for smoke HaHa.

What should be my next step?

I had a similar problem with my fox. I am willing to bet the dimmer switch is the problem. Do the lights work when the switch is full on so interior lights are on as well?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 AM
steve58
1st Gear Member

Thanks David that would be a big help!

No luck at Autozone Site.

I did eliminate the cig lighter,,, and the fuse doesnt blow with the panel dim switch unplugged and the headlights on,, soon as I plug in the panel dim switch it blows,, with the headlights on. That doesnt necessarily mean the dim switch is bad,,, does it?

So I was checking on getting the switch,,, found one for $99 from Ford , I also think I saw one somewhere before for around $40, but dont remember where.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

dont get a switch yet. a schematic tells a lot.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
steve58
1st Gear Member

Good thing you said that,, I got one picked out. Late Model Resto.

Yea the drawing will help! I cant find it anywhere,,so I'm countin on you bud!

The radio is on the same circuit as well as the climate control.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM
84fox5.0

yeah d3efinately a short and really the sad part is it could be two wires rubbing that shouldnt and causes the short...ask me how i know looked for days and then my instruter said whats these two wires go to and when he touched them together with a 20 amp breaker in the fuse spot it would click and reset repeat so i taped it up and everythings fine. But as said before totally use alldata but if somone has access to mitchell on demand there schematics are way better plus there in color for you to trace easier. Im on vacation or id send it to you
Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
84fox5.0

hey umm see if the the lights are all contected by the same fuse minus head lights cuz if the fuse is blown.. what works ?? all lights work?? parking lights your dome lights rear lights??? hmm try ungling the tail light harness cuz if there all connected in the same line and you unplug it...turn the lights on with a new fuse but like said before get a breaker and then turn the lights one...if the breaker clicks then you know the short isnt from the tail lights harness and back..if it doesnt click and shes working fine then you can quickly see that you short is somewhere from the harness to the front. I think there all connected like that but its been a while since i looked at it...i forget but you could try it...invest in a breaker with the common amp ratings.. cuz then you can plug in andtry all sorts of **** and it will just reset but use the right one a bigger one then you need can overheat and melt stuff....ask me how i know
Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 AM
steve58
1st Gear Member

The dash cluster illumination are the only lights affected.

I tried to get a adjustable circuit breaker at Auto Zone last night since I'm spending a fortune in 5amp fuses,,, and they dont carry them.

Any ideas where to find them?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

If i knew how to post pictures i would

Last edited by 19stang88; 02-24-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
84fox5.0

there easy to makeget to alligator clips and then solder them on to the ends of the wires then cut the middle and solder a breaker in and then plug the right fuse in. hmmm but if your dash lights are the only thing out and all exterior lights work (tails parking brake exct) then its definately telling you theres a short...hmm im assuming that the fuse it hot at all times check where the wires go to and see if you can find the ground...being as i cant see the diagram i cant tell you where to look. oh and whats the box say this fuse is???? Cuz i may be wrong but if you keep that fuse unplugged with no fuse and the dash lights come on then that would definately narrow it down....i think like i said i may be wrong
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM
steve58
1st Gear Member

So after chasing this electrical problem for days I finally found the problem,,,the constant voltage wire (green/yellow) in the car was hooked to the yellow wire out of the stereo,, for some reason this was blowing the fuse,, seems like most of these weird problems are caused by,,, how should I put this??? by people who dont know what they are doing, or dont take the time to do the right thing.

This one I can blame on the PO,,, now on to my horn and cruise control issues....

Thanks to 19stang88 for the schematic that led me to the radio,, Iwill try again to post the drawing,, ,,

Quick Reply: 5 amp #13 fuse blows instantly