5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Building an interstate killer

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 01:27 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default Building an interstate killer

Hey guys, I'm going to build up the 'stang as an interstate killer (I guess you could consider the build up a mock ferrari), so I'm not going to do gears and the AOD is staying and I've got Z rated tires. My headers and an off-road h on their way here. What other parts should I consider that would be good for the higher rpms. Here's the list that I've came up with.

Subframe connectors
Strut tower brace
Trick Flow Intake Manifold (1500-6500 rpms)
Underdrives
C&L 76mm MAF (with the 76mm tube)
65mm throttle body
MAYBE a 75 or 100 shot of nitrous...

I know that there are more things that I am missing and if you guys could help me put a list together that'd be awesome. Thanks a bunch, and please no bashing because I'm not going to make this a 1/4 mile car, and plus I have yet to see anyone do a build up like this... But no worries, I'm looking for a rolling chassis notchback for that.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Building an interstate killer

you will most definealy need more power..maybe out some more cam in it so that it will pull longer and harder...and gears will play a big part
Old 07-31-2005, 01:38 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

even if you do want to play on the intestae i reccomend some 3.55 gears. it will pick up a lot better from a rolling start.

you better do something about the o/d too. the stock o/d band is very weak and you aren't even supposed to apply full power to it with the engine in stock form.

this means that you will be limited to third gear.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Well I'm just wanting to get a little bit of power under the hood for right now, nothing major, just some bolt ons. Okay so I've changed my mind, gears are not a must but just like heads, I will end up later down the road getting them. Do I have basically everything covered for just minor bolt ons, what cam would you guys suggest for pulling some high rpms?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

for high rpm use and highway crusing you will want a 327 gear with the aod. youll top out at 140 in third. thats plenty. also that intake is more then you need. try the other intake they have. also a 70mm will do you better on highway. juice really isnt the way to go for highways. since you shouldnt spray the motor all that long and it will eat up juice that long. i think a bottle with a 75 shot only lasts about 90 seconds [if that]. you want a cam that pulls very heavy on topend but also has a good bit of mid range. youll need more then Z rated tires for topend. and bigger inches is a must for this type. you want to be so stable no vibrations at all.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

when i read ur post the first thing i thought of was a cam so u should prolly pick out ur cam first and then starting builing everything around that and i would go with 3.55's
Old 07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

hes got an aod and with the increase in gears he will hurt topend. right now with a 327 gear he will see 140. any more gear he will suffer. it may even benefit if he went forced induction to go with 308s
Old 07-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

focus on suspension then motor. Drop the stang, add stiffer struts/shocks. and get a few chassis stiffening products. Subs, tower brace, and maybe K-brace. Then maybe new bushings or a new solid steering shaft. This will give you a safer (and more enjoyable) feel when cruising at top speed. Rather than holding onto the wheel with two hands praying that a gust of wind won't put you in the wrong two lanes. Your suspensions should be able to handle speed. If you can let go of the wheel at the speed you desire and still go straight and feel comfortable enough then your suspension is perfect. But if you have to hold on for dear life just to keep it straight...then slow down...you are going past the limit of your suspension.

I have a convertible too, and around 90+ my car feels a little uncontrolable. The stock suspensions is horrible for high speeds.

Then work on proper gearing and power adders for your motor.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

i say s/c it... thats will give you good highway hp.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:54 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I like Pure5.0's stand on the build, and the next mods that I am going to do are the strut tower brace and shocks/struts. I've already got a K-member brace. I can't afford to drop it anymore than it already is, I live on dirt roads and I've got about 5 inches of groud clearance, I'm runnin 225/50/16's. As for the Z rated tires... they are safe 150 mph and some more, what's a better speed rated tire than the Z's [&:]? I'm 16 and I don't have the kind of income to get a supercharger lol. Now all that I need is some one to throw me some names for brands on the shocks/struts. Thanks a bunch guys keep the suggestions comin! BTW, why would they make the 1st-3rd gear bands strong and the AOD band weak, I haven't heard of this one.

Quick Reply: Building an interstate killer