5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Some Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Default Need Some Brake Help

I'm in the process of building an 8.8, 31 spline axles, 94-98 axle width, cobra rotors, and calipers.

I'm having trouble finding the flat bracket that bolts to the axle and the caliper mounting bracket bolts to that. I can get the caliper mounting brackets and the calipers from local parts stores, but I can not find the axle bracket. I can probably build one but I don't have a template or anything like that.

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with finding an aftermarket company that makes the bracket or someone who has one that can make a template.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I'm assuming by axle bracket you mean the brake caliper bracket that bolts to the axle housing.

These are rotor/caliper specific... so for cobra rotors and calipers, this is what you need.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-2100A

Again, since I can not follow your terminology... I'm assuming you can get the caliper bracket brace (the one that has the U-bolt and goes around the axle tube) at the parts store. Again these are Cobra/Mach specific so make sure you get the right one.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Sorry man I'm just going by what the parts stores list them as.

But yes that is the bracket that I need except thats for the fox body axle lengths, I'm using SN95 axles for my project.

What part has a U bolt that goes to the axle???

Heres the bracket I can get locally

Hopefully this helps
Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

I was looking and found this, it seems to be a way better deal IMO

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M2300M

Then all I would need is the caliper bracket I posted above and the calipers
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I'm using Strange sn-95 axles in my car with the same thing. It doesn't make any difference. All cars have the exact same 8.8 axle housing, therefore if you are using sn-95 or newer brakes(the cobras you are doing) and sn-95 axles... it is all going to work perfectly.

The bracket braces are shown in the picture in the link you posted. They have the U bolt that goes around the axle tube, then the steel piece bolts onto the caliper bracket that is in the link I posted as well as your picture. This gives it a bracing effect.

The bracket that you've shown in the second post... I have never seen before and do not recommend buying. The kit in your second link, however, is not a bad choice. They sell those for people that have v6 or gt cars and want to upgrade to a larger sized rotor, but it will work the same in our situations.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

It's a titty bitty hard to see, but the two bolts immediately to the left of the Strange 10-way is actually a U-bolt that goes around the axle tube. The piece that the U-bolt holds on is the brace and it bolts to the caliper bracket. Enjoy!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Thanks man I appreciate the help. I'm getting a bare housing from a buddy and a 31 spline trac-lok from another buddy. I'm just trying to figure the whole brake setup out and I wasn't having any luck LOL.

But if I buy the kit from the link that I posted all I will need is the cobra calipers, correct? I won't need the U looking bracket from the pic that I posted.

Thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Correct. You will just need calipers and sn-95 axles.

FYI, companies like strange only sell 5-lug axles in sn-95 style, which I guess is just the length. To my knowledge, unless you are converting to 5 lug drum(wtf why lol), no companies sell 5-lug disc "fox" width axles.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Alright man, 1 more for you. Me and a buddy were hunting around the junk yard for some Ranger parts (hes doing a 302 swap ) and there were 3 explorers with 302s. Well they all have disc brakes in the rear. Not the cobra brakes, but it would be a good start for me to get into it a little bit cheaper until I get a little more funding to upgrade.

Now the explorers will have 31 spline axles, and if I were to use the axles I have to get 2 drivers side axles correct? I was going to drop the money and get all new stuff, but I have some junk I can take down and hopefully make a trade and not have to come up with hardly anything out of pocket.

Also a cool thing I noticed on the V8 explorers is that they have a link bar that goes from the top of the axle to the frame rail to possibly prevent axle wrap and wheel hop? My brother grabbed a set for his S10 that has a V8 in it to try to get rid of some wheel hop, but I thought it was a badass idea to be a factory option.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I've never heard of the link bar being used/able to be used on a mustang swap. You have to use two of the same axles... it may be the driver's side. I'm not sure... there are plenty of junkyard swap threads that have complete lists of swap parts. Including crap like injectors from trucks. I think the late 90's explorers even had aluminum 5.0 blocks...

Like I mentioned earlier, if you are going to go with regular brakes in the back, make sure you get/buy the proper brackets. The ones in the link I posted are for Cobra/Mach 1 brakes ONLY. The link I posted has brackets for regular brakes but you have to search the site.

Quick Reply: Need Some Brake Help