5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 gt mustang cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
kowalczyk86

Default need help asap! cruise control problem

First off I apologize if thls has been posted. I am on my Droid and its hard to navigate the site. Bought a sweet 89 gt convertible and the cruise control does not work. I have been reading on this a little, and yes the horn works. How do I fix the CC? I have to leave on a 1700 mile roadtrip and need this desperately! It is a 5 speed if it matters. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. The car has sat for 21 years, it only has 8000 original miles and the rest of the car is near perfect.

Last edited by kowalczyk86; 04-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I believe the cruise control uses vacuum so you might want to check the lines going to it. It's located in the driver side fender right infront of the door.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:51 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

um ^^^^ i dont believe so..

check the speed sensor. it attaches between the speedo cable and the trans. it is probably broken or loose. also the plug could have fallen out or it is corroded.

its on the drivers side of the trans btw so jack the car up and check it out
Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
kowalczyk86

Speed sensor looks good. Took it apart cleaned it and put it back.. any other suggestions?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

fuse?

you can also try pulling the steering wheel and cleaning the round copper contacts. but thats prob not your issue with that low of mileage.. but it could be worth a shot
Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
um ^^^^ i dont believe so..

check the speed sensor. it attaches between the speedo cable and the trans. it is probably broken or loose. also the plug could have fallen out or it is corroded.

its on the drivers side of the trans btw so jack the car up and check it out

Check for broken/loose connections at the speed control amplifier, cut/disconnected vacuum hose from the servo to the manifold, loose or cracked plastic elbow at servo, disconnected or loose dump valve at servo, misadjusted bowden cable(or broken), hose pinched at dump valve, valve not fully seated in the retaining clip in the brake pedal support bracket.

Readjust dump valve if yellow plunger is extended more than 1/4" without brake pedal depressed.

There's quite a lengthy diag procedure here for voltage checks, etc... If you need it, let me know.
Will take me about an hour to post it.

Last edited by mattdel; 04-18-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
kowalczyk86

Originally Posted by mattdel

Check for broken/loose connections at the speed control amplifier, cut/disconnected vacuum hose from the servo to the manifold, loose or cracked plastic elbow at servo, disconnected or loose dump valve at servo, misadjusted bowden cable(or broken), hose pinched at dump valve, valve not fully seated in the retaining clip in the brake pedal support bracket.

Readjust dump valve if yellow plunger is extended more than 1/4" without brake pedal depressed.

There's quite a lengthy diag procedure here for voltage checks, etc... If you need it, let me know.
Will take me about an hour to post it.

Problem is the cruise control cable is disconnected because it is the wrong one (too short). Not sure what happened there. In any case does anyone know where I can get one?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I'm in doubt that the cable is the wrong one. It can be adjusted inside the servo.

At any rate, I've exhausted my search for a cable and cannot find one. Ford dealer would be the last option.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
kowalczyk86

Originally Posted by mattdel
I'm in doubt that the cable is the wrong one. It can be adjusted inside the servo.

At any rate, I've exhausted my search for a cable and cannot find one. Ford dealer would be the last option.
Hmmmm.... I wonder why it would be shorter than it should be? I don't know much about this, I will have to look into it further. I was thinking to myself, "maybe the CC broke, and they tried to replace the cable and bought the wrong one (too short), and said screw it - and left it..."

Do I have to take the fender off to adjust?

I just drove this car 1,700 miles back home without it...

I did find this on Ebay, just in case I do need to replace.. Let me know what you think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-93...item2559c77a8d
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
kowalczyk86

If you take a look at my picture... Is that actually the end of what the cruise control cable looks like? I am not exactly sure how it is secured in place on the throttle, but is there a chance that it snapped loose, and I lost the slack? Should I try and pull on the end of the cable that comes from the servo?

Quick Reply: 89 gt mustang cruise control not working