5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Still can't stop the pinging has anyone had this problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Leeh1979

Default Still can't stop the pinging has anyone had this problem!

Ok I put strait seafoam thru the injection. I took out the cold air intake and put the old air filter and houseing back in the car. I have the timing set to 10 above top dead center and it pings. When I turn the a/c on and get on it the engine pings worse. If I set it back to 8 above top dead center or lower than that it doesn't ping with the a/c off but I have less power. As soon as I turn on the a/c and punch it. It will still ping like crazy! It seems when the engine is at normal temp it does it when theres a load on it it does it. I'm up in the air. I also was told that it was mabey a vacume leak I looked around for one but don't see a leak. If there was a leak then I'm sure it would idle rough. It idles smooth so I don't think there is a vacume leak. The only thing I know what to do is set the timming way back. And only get on it when the a/c is off. But whats the point in having a sports car if you can't drive it like one. So if anyone has anymore ideas I'm up for whatever you throw at me!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Try running 89 or higher octane gas and see if it helps.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

A/C shouldn't matter, there's a relay in the circuit that shuts off the AC at WOT.
Your combustion chamber temperatures could be extremely high, which would point to cooling system problems.

Also, seafoam is only meant to work on light levels of carbon. If you have an extreme amount of abusive miles on that motor, it might be time to pull the heads and clean it out.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

pretty much all SN95 gt's do it... youve probably got a vac leak (common)
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 AM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

my 94 gt does it too. i run 93 octane and it helps a lot
Old 04-27-2010, 05:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by lehrskee
my 94 gt does it too. i run 93 octane and it helps a lot
you shouldnt have to though... find your problem. Like I said, its likely a vac leak
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Run the DIY KOEO/KOER self tests, if you don't have any EGR related failure codes....... make sure the EGR valve is routing exhaust gases through the intake for sure. Engine idling, disconnect EGR valve vacuum line, attach another line and apply vacuum to the valve..... if the engine doesn't stumble and stalls when vacuum is applied, you have an EGR opening w/out exhaust gases getting routed through the intake........ which are expected by the EEC and adds spark advance under partial load to handle them. If they are not present in the A/F, the EEC is adding spark advance for exhaust gases that are not present = engine pinging. BTSTDTRT.......LUK
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joel5.0
Run the DIY KOEO/KOER self tests, if you don't have any EGR related failure codes....... make sure the EGR valve is routing exhaust gases through the intake for sure. Engine idling, disconnect EGR valve vacuum line, attach another line and apply vacuum to the valve..... if the engine doesn't stumble and stalls when vacuum is applied, you have an EGR opening w/out exhaust gases getting routed through the intake........ which are expected by the EEC and adds spark advance under partial load to handle them. If they are not present in the A/F, the EEC is adding spark advance for exhaust gases that are not present = engine pinging. BTSTDTRT.......LUK
just ran the koeo/koer test about a month ago and no codes stored. ill have to try that though thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

Are you using the factory harmonic balancer or a different one?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

the factory one. i have had the car for about a year now and i checked the timing about a month ago also and its right around 14. i never changed it so either a previous owner did or i dont know.

Quick Reply: Still can't stop the pinging has anyone had this problem!