5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with my dash pod clock

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM
trailrider73

Default help with my dash pod clock

I have a 95 GT Convertible, when the headlights are off the clock works great but as soon as you pull on the switch the clock goes off. Does anyone have any ideas for me ?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Lmao I have the same issue, oh also my cig. lighters don't work oh and my electric seat, These are all common though, Im pretty sure its your headlight/dimmer switch, Do this- Remove your cluster panel (dont know the name) than remove your headlight switch, look at the headlight switch connector that plugs into your headlight switch...... Let me guess, one of the wires that go into the back of the connector is melted and the connector itself is also melted around that one wire. Go do it than report back.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Its either your connector and/or your headlight switch, I put my money on the connector though.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
trailrider73

thanks, I'll let u know if thats it. I also have the problem with my power seat, stuck in the far back position and won't move forward. Not much room to get to the wiring harness.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

if you have mult items out(seat, dome light and other stuff) I would start in the fuse box.

Mine started working intermittenly when I found a deal on a remote radar detector that I mounted there instead, problems solved.........
Old 08-28-2011, 03:32 AM
ChadG

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
Lmao I have the same issue, oh also my cig. lighters don't work oh and my electric seat, These are all common though, Im pretty sure its your headlight/dimmer switch, Do this- Remove your cluster panel (dont know the name) than remove your headlight switch, look at the headlight switch connector that plugs into your headlight switch...... Let me guess, one of the wires that go into the back of the connector is melted and the connector itself is also melted around that one wire. Go do it than report back.
I came across your post while doing some research for my 94 GT. I recently have ran into the same issue you described. My Clock pod will come on while the car is on without any headlights. After I turn on the headlights it stays on for a bit and then shuts off. It does keep time and have had no issues with the clock stopping. It just stops staying Illuminated. Also my power seat will not operate. I can hear the motor running when i push the forward but no movement. Havent tried my cig lighter cause I no longer smoke. Also the buttons on my OE factory stereo are not lit up regardless if the headlights are on or off. The display (radio station screen) on the stereo lights up but the buttons do not. This was intermittent and the buttons have worked before in the past. Since I have had the car I have also had power issues in the past. When my headlights are on and stereo my battery gauge flutters alot while idling. I was beginning to think it was a battery/alternator issue. If i leave my headlights on for longer than 10 minutes without the car running the battery goes completely dead and I have to jump it. However I am curious about what your saying regarding the headlight switch and if all of these symptoms are related (power seats, clock pod, cig lighter and possibly my stereo buttons). I have checked all my fuses and they are good. I even replaced a couple with brand new ones just to make sure in both fuse boxes. I have had intermittent issues with my dash lights being dim at times in the past but prior to this problem happening the only 2 things I have done was doing a really good clean on my battery cables and battery because I had alot of buildup and acid and also I had a guy run dye in my AC lines because my AC went out. Apparently because we could not find any leaks in the engine bay for my AC he thinks that the issue is my evaporator which is under the dash. I am wondering if possibly the die has leaked inside the dash and cause this to short out. I wasnt able to to PM you directly on this site so I am hoping that you could post your solution in regard to those issues that you described. Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 04:51 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

no the dye should not have shorted things out. Pull out the radio and with the lights on, pull/tug/twist the wiring going to it and see if the lights come on/off which would signal a bad connection in the hrns.

not sure why your leaving your headlights on to test the battery and not really sure how long it should last but it does sound low. How old is the battery(although this probably has little to do with the lights).

Have you checked for power on the cig lighter? When you say you have checked all the fuses you included the fuses under the hood righ?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 PM
ChadG

Originally Posted by ttocs
no the dye should not have shorted things out. Pull out the radio and with the lights on, pull/tug/twist the wiring going to it and see if the lights come on/off which would signal a bad connection in the hrns.

not sure why your leaving your headlights on to test the battery and not really sure how long it should last but it does sound low. How old is the battery(although this probably has little to do with the lights).

Have you checked for power on the cig lighter? When you say you have checked all the fuses you included the fuses under the hood righ?
Yea i havent pulled the radio out yet.. I was just going to replace it eventually with a aftermarket one with an IPOD hookup on it.

I am not purposely leaving them on for any reason. How I know the battery doesnt last very long is simple. The person who bought the car before me put the Halo Projector head lights on it. I hate them . Anyways I Had some issues with 1 headlight not working all the time. So I rewired them and removed the wiring fro the LED's anyways during this whole process that is how I learned the battery would die nearly after about 10 mins of being on but not running. The battery is 3-4 years old I believe from the date on it.

Yes I have checked all fuses in the fuse box under the dash and other the hood. Including 6 and 8 under the dash which are associated with the pod clock. I have not tried the cig lighter because I honestly I dont know if it worked prior to this problem.

I really was hoping that Kenne would be able to post his solution. Out of all the sites and posts I have read due to pod clocks not working and power seats not working. he is the only person to have listed all of my symptoms together and seems to have an idea of exactly what is wrong.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM
animalkracka

Originally Posted by trailrider73
I have a 95 GT Convertible, when the headlights are off the clock works great but as soon as you pull on the switch the clock goes off. Does anyone have any ideas for me ?
i'm having the same issue with my 95 gt. whenever i turn the lights on the pod clock looses power and doesn't keep time. it will blink one every once and a while but not for very long. i was thinking it may be a loose connection and from reading this i'm thinking i may be right. is there a fix for it like cutting out the harness and hard wiring everything??
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

rip it out, buy my radar detector that is custom mounted up there. Much cooler and your deck will have a clock as well.

Quick Reply: help with my dash pod clock