5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:21 AM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

Unhappy crank no start

i have an automatic 5.0 lx with cobra upper and lower intakes, msd distributor, mallory ignition coil, nkg spark plugs, msd blue ignition wires, power pullies, converted to mass air flow, 70mm professional products throttle body, 70mm maf, pro-m air filter,stock e-7 heads the upper and lower intakes along with the throttle body, heads, and maf have all been ported and polished. o.k. my question is yesterday after i came home from work i noticed that the vehicle was bogging down upon hard acceleration, it felt like it was heavy, i dont know if you all know what i mean. i got home parked it. and this morning my car would not turn on. it cranks, i checked the fuel pressure and it is at steady 40 , the fuel pump is working, pulled out spark plug and they are not wet, checked the coil and the spark plug wires all had spark. i changed out the ignition module and still nothing. i checked the ignition switch and nothing. i reset the inertia switch and the car will still not start...it cranks. i checked all fluids and everything is o.k, does anyone have any suggestions on what else i could do, thanks in advance, appreciated...
Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Bad battery connections?
Bad battery?
What's your compression?
Distributer functioning properly?
Checked all your ignition component connections? If one barely pops out, the car will not start, had a similar problem with my ignition coil, the positive side wasn't in all the way.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Felt heavy? Usually coils will work or not, they don't slowly die. Fuel could be an issue, but you said it's steady at 40 lbs... is that at the rail? Also, did you check the color of the coolant or do a compression test? Are you sure the valvetrain is propering filling the cylinders?

For an engine to run it needs:
-compression
-fuel
-ignition
Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

battery connections are good, battery is good, distributor is good, i even swapped it out with my brother in laws 5.0. compression still dont know yet, i dont have the meter to check it out.,yes the fuel pressure is steady at 40lbs at the rail, the coolant is new i flushed the radiator a couple weeks ago, checked it today and still full and normal color...checked my timing and changed it back from 14 to base 10 and back,. and still nothing...imma check on all of the grounds to see maybe if thatll work, oh and my fuel injectors are not clogged, i checked them out already...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Like I said, check all of your connections for the ignition, if even one of them slips out, no fire. Also, have you done a fuel systems check? Salt and and pepper shaker check?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 PM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

o.k. i checked all ignition connections took them off and put them back on., prior to the car starting of course the fuel pump turns on to fill the lines up to the fuel rails, i have noticed when i start to crank the vehicle the fuel pump stops pumping, is this at all common? salt and pepper check ? i have not heard of that one, its been a while since i needed to diagnos my vehicle, i dont know if your pulling my leg or if its an actual test sorry. any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

You might here the fuel pump relay click on and the fuel pump itself build up pressure, but it should stay running once the engine is running.

Still need a compression check. You didn't say how many miles were on it- could be a worn timing chain that jumped a tooth.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Salt and pepper shakers are 2 sensors located at the back of the engine bay on 93 and previous 5.0s. Google them, it will give you more info on them and how to fix/clean them. They are two sensors, one black, then other white, located at the back of the engine bay, hense the name salt and pepper.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
razor450r

i had a simular problem but my fuel pump would not shut off when the key was on i had 36 pound fuel preassure at the rail but my injectors were not palsing. make sure they are palsing by putting a test light on the wires to your injectors if it does not flash when you turn it over your computer is bad. i spent 150 bucks before i found out my problem.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

OP this is what you need to follow:
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html

Quick Reply: crank no start