5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rocker Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol, trick flow needs to do it...lol again, a competent machinest canresolve the issue, first find out what trickflow is going to do, my bet is they will machine down the pedastal surface, or even cheaper you could just remove the conversion kit a previous owner installed and buy a set of pedastal mount rockers = cheapest route
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
the problem I see, according to the wear pattern on the tip of the vale, is that your pushrods are the wrong length.

get an adjustable pushrod and go through the process of dining the proper length
scroll through the 4 pics he has and view the heavy wear marks on the underside of the rocker from what looks like retainer contact, so I doubt push rods will fully resolve the issue.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

first off, your method for finding 0 lash is incorrect.

second, you need to verify PR length with a PR checker and a converted HR lifter to SR lifter. or buy a SR lifter to check PR length. get the correct witness mark location and width. order that PR.

third, you need to use the proper 0 lash technique.

rotate motor until the exhaust BARELY starts to move down, adjust the INTAKE. MOVE the PR up and down while tightening the poly lock down till no more movement is felt. Generic HR preload spec for stock style lifters is .020" - .060". I always shoot for .030" - .040" ..... which is ~1/2 turn for adjustable rockers. the crank down the poly lock. DONE!

then on the same cylinder rotate motor around till the INTAKE rocker is almost all the way back up(closed position) then adjust the EXHAUST valve. in the same fashion as listed above. rinse and repeat on all cylinders.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
scroll through the 4 pics he has and view the heavy wear marks on the underside of the rocker from what looks like retainer contact, so I doubt push rods will fully resolve the issue.
+1 to that, i just went back and looked. good catch MJR.

OP, take a profile picture of the rocker arm at closed position, half open and fully open positions...

then post them. i'm curious to see the result.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

The "birds eye view" of his images do not give you enough information to acurately make that claim Mike. If you look at the pushrod end of his rocker, they are messed up there too.

What the OP needs to do is get a close up picture (like what protrickvic said) of the assembly installed at 0 lift, half lift, and full lift.

OP, look through the modes on your camera for a setting called "macro" make sure you have alot of light too. This will help you take nice clean, clear crisp pictures up close.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM
renderking

lol, trick flow needs to do it...lol again, a competent machinest canresolve the issue, first find out what trickflow is going to do, my bet is they will machine down the pedastal surface, or even cheaper you could just remove the conversion kit a previous owner installed and buy a set of pedastal mount rockers = cheapest route
My first question to the trick flow tech was to see if it was possible to switch back to pedestal without sending the heads in. Waiting on his response now. Is converting back something that I could do on my own, or does a machinist need to be involved?

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
The "birds eye view" of his images do not give you enough information to acurately make that claim Mike. If you look at the pushrod end of his rocker, they are messed up there too.

What the OP needs to do is get a close up picture (like what protrickvic said) of the assembly installed at 0 lift, half lift, and full lift.

OP, look through the modes on your camera for a setting called "macro" make sure you have alot of light too. This will help you take nice clean, clear crisp pictures up close.
ha, sounds like I'm as good of a "photographer" as I am a "mechanic"! I'll snap side profile pics at 0 lift, half lift, and full lift as soon as I can. Unfortunately, I'm traveling, and won't be by the car for a few days (kills me cause I want to get running again!). If I can get someone to take the pics in my place, I'll post as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!! I feel like I've been running in circles with this for 2-3 weeks.

Truly appreciative.

OP
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by renderking
Unfortunately, I'm traveling, and won't be by the car for a few days (kills me cause I want to get running again!).
I know how that is. WHen I go away its for months at a time... drives me crazy.

Try to get the pics up before the 17th... otherwise I will not be able to help you.

stupid honeymoon....
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
renderking

From Trick Flow Support:

"We no longer offer a pedestal mount head so we no longer have the pedestals. My best option for you is the conversion for the $500."
Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by renderking
From Trick Flow Support:

"We no longer offer a pedestal mount head so we no longer have the pedestals. My best option for you is the conversion for the $500."
you can buy pedastal mount rockers from summit, or an I missing something?? do the trick flow ones use special ones??
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM
renderking

you can buy pedastal mount rockers from summit, or an I missing something?? do the trick flow ones use special ones??
Not sure myself, but I'll put a call into summit and see what they say. Maybe trick flow is just trying to drive in some extra business. The tech doesn't seem to be too forth coming with info. Real cut and dry...