5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

exhaust studs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
KingKobra
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust studs?

im having trouble with my stock header bolts, primaries on my shorties are in the way. it would make it easier if i had studs, my question is, can i just go to autozone and get these

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=426025_0_0_

even though it says 90-06 ford and i drive a 87 5.0 gt?

will they fit fine?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i think the reason no one uses studs is because its a b*tch to try to slide the headers over the studs.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

it does seem like it'd be super hard

stock header bolts are too big to try to manipulate.

get some allen head or torx head ones... the heads are WAAAAY smaller than the heads on stockers
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
93hatch306
2nd Gear Member

I used studs on one car and the nuts were just as bad as the stock bolt heads. ARP header bolts clear my primary tubes on 1 3/4 BBKs.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

i have 12pt ones, they work great and i have enough clearance. I didn't know that there were hex and torques I think they would be even better.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

dang that sucks! when i did my headers it took me like all day just to put the bolts in
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
5.0stanglx

Those are for the collector I have the exact same ones and they do work great.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
89GTnoob
2nd Gear Member

I took a torch to the studs on the collector, removed the studs, then drilled out the hole a little. Now I use some bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts. It was a quick fix and cost effective but probally not the most convienent considering I need a wrench up top now to keep the bolt from spinning while tightning the nut....
Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KingKobra
im having trouble with my stock header bolts, primaries on my shorties are in the way. it would make it easier if i had studs, my question is, can i just go to autozone and get these
This is a pretty common problem. Studs appear to be easier, but they're usually a pain in the neck to get the flange over them. Not many people use them.

Get some header bolts from Summit or wherever. They have a smaller head, usually 3/8". I don't like 12 point heads for this application. You can only use a box wrench. Often there isn't enough room for a box wrench.

SOmetimes the bolts are too long, and hit the header tube if it's curving in that direction. If you tighten down all the bolts, you'll find that bolts hits the header tube and you can't tighten it. If that's the case, start by screwing them in only half way. Then go back and tighten them the rest of the way.

I use split lock washers, and I never have trouble with them coming loose; I don't know why, as so many people do. But you might consider one of the mechanical locking devices.

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
i think the reason no one uses studs is because its a b*tch to try to slide the headers over the studs.
I agree. But I do use one stud to help with installation. I use a bolt with the head cut off, and screwdriver slot cut into the end. I put it in the first hole, and then put the header flange and gasket over that stud. That keeps one end in place while I get another one started. Makes the job a lot easier.

Originally Posted by 89GTnoob
I took a torch to the studs on the collector, removed the studs, then drilled out the hole a little. Now I use some bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts. It was a quick fix and cost effective but probally not the most convienent considering I need a wrench up top now to keep the bolt from spinning while tightning the nut....
Tack weld the head of the bolt to the flange. A simple tack will keep it from spinning. But easy enough to grind off if the studs breaks or strips. A star washer under the head of the bolt will sometimes keep it from spinning as you tighten it.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

the bbk longtubes i run came with new bolts...

Quick Reply: exhaust studs?