5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I just don't understand this

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Default Throw out bearing retainer

I'm really fed up with this, My fathers car has been at a shop for nearly two weeks to replace a throwout bearing, every time my dad or myself call them they come up with another problem. Well I'm at the end of my rope, now that they've gotten the correct bearing retainer (third time is the charm) they come back with a part that they can barely describe and apparently doesn't exist anymore, its a shim, that I have to assume functions with the throwout bearing retainer, as the man my father talked to said (controls the end play) does somebody know what this part is, so i can buy two, one for the car and one to shove up the mechanics ***?

Last edited by enix187; 07-22-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

i think its because you dont have a clue what they are talking about. it does exist and comes with all transmission rebuild kits, even basic ones. its a shim that goes inside the trans. if you have endplay by .xxx you need to put in a shim to reduce it from what it is until its back in spec.

but two weeks in the shop does sound a bit excessive....hmmm

Last edited by ProTrickVic; 07-20-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by enix187
does somebody know what this part is, so i can buy two, one for the car and one to shove up the mechanics ***?
Ignorance is bliss, bad mouth the guy working on your car because you just don't know.......read your quote in your sig, it is accurate!! as for the shim/s I have plenty left over from rebuild kits I've done on t-5's and why don't they just pull the one out from behind the race that is in your old retainer?? you do know that this shim comes in varying sizes and thickness is determined by checking for end play and using the appropriate thickness to remove all end play and put some preload on it, all shims in the retainer in all t-5's are not created equal/same thickness FYI
Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

I haven't said anything to the guy,for the exact reason that I had no idea what he was talking about, what i don't understand it
a. why replacing the throwout bearing retainer brought about this issue
b. why he's claiming its not made anymore

And now I'm curious as to why he's making such a big deal about getting this part when from what you all say it is an easily attainable piece, I'm fully aware of the fact I know little to nothing about t-5's, but I do know when someones leading my father (and by association me) on, so I guess I'll just see how it pans out
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Was the car in the shop for clutch work or transmission work?

The title for your thread didn't tell us much either.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

the car was in the shop to get its throwout bearing replaced, we don't have any way to easily remove the trans and I have little to no experience with transmissions. There is an update though. They've come to the conclusion, and if it makes no sense sorry its just how it was explained to me by them. Because the only bearing retainer they can get is the steel kind, and something to do with the shim, they have to replace my input shaft, my father has not interest in arguing with them so I just said OK and left in disgust. Does any of that make sense?

By the way, I've been exceedingly nice to these people, and have recommended them to many people, I'm not just an angry person who bitches at mechanics, I haven't argued with them once, I just don't understand the reasoning behind what they're telling me, the 5.0 t5 combo isn't a rare one so I can't understand why they're making everything sound like an "if" statement, "if we can find the part" "if it will fit", I don't get why its so complicated.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

I guess it just depends on where they buy their parts from. I had a guy go thru my T-5 earlier this year. He replaced the 2nd gear cluster and some other small parts. Took 4 days including getting parts local and New York. Maybe they are just not buying from the right people.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

I am goign to throw a wild guess...

not only was the thrust bearing gone but the bearing retainer that the bearing slides up and down on was trashed. when he ordered and received the part he received the upgraded steel bearing retainer which for some reason needed additional shims that he did not have in stock.

You are probably lucky he knew to check the end play and determine he needed an additional or smaller shim. the only part i can't put together is the fact that he wants to replace the input shaft.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

well that was my guess too, until he changed his mind and said that he'd just polish the old bearing retainer and reuse it, I'm at the stage were I've given up on logic and just hoping he'll get it done, and that it wouldn't have been cheaper just to buy a new transmission