5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil is way overfull and smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If you have been turning the motor over and over trying to start it you will also allow gas to run through the cylinders to settle in the oil. I have had that happen when I first had issues started my car up years ago.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Is it carb'd or injected?
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
The Pirate

Ok, so I've checked my regulator and my pressure and they were both fine. I also changed my oil and put in five quarts like the book says but it still reads as overfull and now im leaking oil from my front drain plug and I dont know why because if I go any tighter its probably going to strip. I also noticed that only the oil leaking from that plug smells like gas but not the one in back.

And it does run but it has been off the road for awhile which is why i've been doing the maintenance and body work it needs.

Also I discovered im leaking coolant from the bottom of the brand new water pump where the seal meets the timing cover. that the P.O put on.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

IS IT CARBURETED OR FUEL INJECTED?

You have not made that clear yet.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
The Pirate

PRETTY SURE I HAVE "Thanks for the help guys and I know I'm going to have to change the oil, I also had a suspicion that it had SOME LEAKY INJECTORS but..." by the way i'm not blind typing in all caps really isnt necessary.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Because you didn't clearly type out that it was injected. Basic info like that needs to be in a line by itself where it's clear to see.

The next thing is how much does the oil level rise after you've driven it for how long? Is it just showing overfilled on the stick, or is the level actually rising after the engine has been run?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

calm down man, first off, there must be something wrong because all fox's that I've ever known off or owned has had a six quart oil capacity, so somethings up there. The front drain plug should have a plastic washer, and with that it should go all the way to the pan (be flush with the pan) check for the leaking injectors next, thats about all thats left that could even cause this, that and as a previous post stated "cycleing the motor constantly to crank it will put excess gas in the cylinders that will leak down into the crankcase" When you first started this thread you didn't say what you were doing when you noticed the oil, where you checking it before you started it after the long lay up or what?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by enix187
calm down man, first off, there must be something wrong because all fox's that I've ever known off or owned has had a six quart oil capacity, so somethings up there. The front drain plug should have a plastic washer, and with that it should go all the way to the pan (be flush with the pan) check for the leaking injectors next, thats about all thats left that could even cause this, that and as a previous post stated "cycleing the motor constantly to crank it will put excess gas in the cylinders that will leak down into the crankcase" When you first started this thread you didn't say what you were doing when you noticed the oil, where you checking it before you started it after the long lay up or what?

the stock fox 5.0 has a 5 quart capacity................. always has
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

^^^^
I hate to say this on the forums but you are most assuredly wrong, My 93, my fathers 88, my old 88, My uncles 89 and his 87, all take six qaurts, this is with a new oil filter (if that makes a difference) So I say sir that you're incorrect, and no, none of them are overfull
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by enix187
^^^^
I hate to say this on the forums but you are most assuredly wrong, My 93, my fathers 88, my old 88, My uncles 89 and his 87, all take six qaurts, this is with a new oil filter (if that makes a difference) So I say sir that you're incorrect, and no, none of them are overfull
Uh huh well then you go ahead and put six quarts in and run too much oil (will hurt performance as well) while the rest of us (with stock pans at least) run 5 quarts. You do know that being full doesn't require you to be at the top of the hatched area on that dipstick right? Prove me wrong and I will give you a gold star! Now go read a repair manual or any other source of information and come back with an answer.......

Quick Reply: Oil is way overfull and smells like gas