5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 AM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 Overheating

my friends has a 85 5.0 carb, he bought it about a month ago, we drove it home about a 2 hr drive, nothin wrong at all, the next day he drives it in town it overheats but he lives with it till the weekend, me and him put a new 180 themostat in, it helped for a lil while, but it still ran hot so he bought a new "maximum cooling radiator" from advanced auto parts but it still ran hot so then he replaced the water pump, still runs hot. what else could be wrong ive searched topics from january didnt find anything like this, but what i got from it maybe a head gasket, he is running pure water through it so maybe if he added antifreeze that would help a little, im gonna tell him to change the oil and check the oil, my dad is a mechanic and im pretty decent with a set of tools to do what we need to do and i work at a machine shop, but could it also be the clutch fan thats what my dad thought, im pretty sure it heats up to the A on his gage maybe the M, but tell me waht else could be wrong
Old 08-16-2005, 07:33 PM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 Overheating

can i get any help on this situation, also i forgot to add he thinks that the water pump is pulling the wrong way it spins clockwise now like mine i think, so i dont think is the problem, any help would b nice
Old 08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Possibilities:

1. Could be blown head gasket, is he losing water? Pray this isn't what it is.

2. Could be the fan clutch. There aren't that expensive to replace, or you could invest in an electric fan.

3. I don't think the pump is spinning the wrong direction if he specifically asked for an 85' model 5.0 pump. Unless you guys put the belt back on wrong , which I also can't see happening.

4. You didn't put the thermostat in backwards did you...?

That 180 degree thermostat will cause the car to cool / heat up at different rates than before , since all it does it let the coolant flow at a different time. Unless your old thermostat wasn't working then a new one won't help much .

Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

its not 3 or 4, hopefully not 1 i dont think he loseing water prolly 2 i c him tomarrow at school so we'll check it
Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

have him run a mixture of 50/50 with water and coolant. to much water will boilover and you will see overheating issues

i forget the boiling point of water but a car will boil water, thats why you run anitfireeze, also to much antifreeze is also bad
Old 08-17-2005, 04:41 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

I have the exact same hood as you Quik. Mine is still primered though cause I'm broke lol. Your money is in the mail btw.

As far as your heat issue man, you might also put in some water wetter while your messing with the coolant. But I suspect it's either the fan clutch or a blown head gasket due to the fact that the problem started so suddenly. Did you guys stay at a pretty constant speed on that long drive or was it stop & go? I'm sure when you say he was "driving around town" the next day that he had lots of stops, that could have contributed to you not noticing until the next day. The car would have stayed cooler on the interstate.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

it wus highway drivening the way home, i dont think its a head gasket, hes not looseing water. how hard is it to put an electrical fan in wiring wise
Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
03Ford46

Well it depends on if you want it to come on at a set temp or to run when the car does. You can get a thermostat controlled unit and simply put the wire in at the upper radiator hose so it runs between the hose and the radiator outlet. Then just clamp the hose on like normal. Otherwise you will need a relay, a direct feed to the battery, a ground wire and a 12volt switched circuit to tap onto. Its pretty easy to wire them in.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
88mustangt

u shouldnt run straight water through your radiator, along with freezing at a much lower temp than water antifreez also turns into a gas at a much higher temp so it wont all turn into steam and leave nothing to cool your engine
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik
have him run a mixture of 50/50 with water and coolant. to much water will boilover and you will see overheating issues

i forget the boiling point of water but a car will boil water, thats why you run anitfireeze, also to much antifreeze is also bad
That's what just happened to my car the other day. I didn't put enough antifreeze into the mixture & it boiled at 200 degrees on my guage then started into my overflow tank. I've got a 180 in it, but I was running it pretty hard & it started to slowly climb, then it started climbing really really fast. I turned the car off at 250 & it still kept climbing to 265. At that point I turned on a garden hose at a gas station that was close & kept spraying down my radiator with cold water (which apparently works really well).

Quick Reply: 5.0 Overheating