5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

3rd made me look like a fool tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default 3rd made me look like a fool tonight....

Well there I go. I am just about to blow a gasket in myself because I missed 3rd gear tonight TWO TIMES!!!!!!! A little grand am came up to me and wanted to race. He gunned it just to see if I would respond and I did. Well it was all good and I pulled on him but a light came up.

Then it was green. I let him pass me when I was slowly shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then I gunned it. Pulled on him and would have been home free but I MISSED 3RD!!!!!!!!!!!!! He passed me and that was that. I missed it barely too. It was halfway in when I depressed the clutch and it grabbed from a fraction of a sec but then popped out and made a nasty POP noise. I didn't like.

The second time we were moving and I shifted from 4th to 3rd and lost it again.

I mean common...this sucks.

So I have concluded that because I gave a grand prix a fair fight becaues of my 3rd....I'm getting a short shifter next paycheck......FRIDAY.

They are little quick for a v6 car....but not quick enough to stay a few car lengths within me.....
Old 08-17-2005, 02:40 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd made me look like a fool tonight....

i used to be like that as well then i bought a pro 5.0 problem cured!!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Mustang5.0_GT
3rd Gear Member

hhahaa i hated that , always missing 3rd , i just orderd an MGW shifter 2day , cant wait to get it
Old 08-17-2005, 04:55 AM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

lots of people seem to miss 3rd,including me,even with a short shift....it always seems to happen at the wrong time...against a grand prix,is a wrong time...[:@]
Old 08-17-2005, 05:02 AM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

I find that my short shift made shifting a bit notchy going in all gears,wondering if one of you guys can let me know how yours is......thanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I missed third a lot of times under a lot of power, then it got a lot better when I put in a poly trans mount, then 100% better when I put in the steeda tri-ax. Yeah it's notchy but incredible.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I can see it now there is some guy on a Grand Prix Forum bragging on how he beat a Mustang GT. I had the same thing happen screwing around with my buddy in his F150 now he thinks his truck is fast. The Tri-ax will help alot.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

to tell you the truth,a crx beat me one time..and I didnt miss 3rd,he was chasing me for a wile,so I new he wanted to race,my car was stock at the time,but still,I didnt gun it at the begining because I didnt want to look like an idiot(racing a crx)when I did,it was to late,I dont know what he did to it,but it was quick for sure...I'm sure he was bragging....
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bramas02

I can see it now there is some guy on a Grand Prix Forum bragging on how he beat a Mustang GT. I had the same thing happen screwing around with my buddy in his F150 now he thinks his truck is fast. The Tri-ax will help alot.
<LOL>
I bet you he felt good.

Those CRXs can be made fast. They are kind of like go karts. They have a little power, but they weigh nothing....
Old 08-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Greybeard

Even a late Grand Am GT with headers/intake/cam shouldn't be a match for a well tuned bone stock 3.23:1 five-speed 302 in the quarter - it might get to the 60 foot mark a bit quicker, but I'd guess that there would be at least 2 cars between them at the far end.
While there's nothing as cool as torquey, stick shifted V8 power, or the sight of a stroker Stang carrying the front tires a couple inches off the ground thru first gear, I just had to have a quiet, air conditioned daily driver after too many years of hot rodded Mustangs, rat rods (before they were called rat rods...) and a half million mile 86 Trooper with no air and seized rear spring bushings.....
I got a 96 GTP for a daily driver - and they are the real thing - 150 mph top end, mid 14 sec quarter mile with no more than a chip and a fatter exhaust. Got 25+ mpg until 150,000 miles, and could accelerate , corner and brake as well as a lot of $40,000+ euro sedans (although not as good as an M power BMW or AMG 5.0 ) . They were GMs answer to the SHO Taurus, only much plusher, with genuine wide-track (2" wider than the SE version) and enough power (240hp/280t) to shred the hides like the big boys - and 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. Right after we got the GTP, my wife spanked my stock '87 GT (Pro5-0 shifter, 3.55's and a reman gearbox) like a red headed step child - from a 25mph roll all the way to about 100, I was 3-4 car lengths behind and losing ground the whole time. Embarassing because I really thought I would whup her butt, and she had the airconditioning on..... I bought it at auction in 2000 as a repo for $2800 (worth about $12k at the time) because it wouldn't start, had 4 flats, and a lot of stains on the carpet and pax seat. I figured that at worst I'd pull the motor and buy a $150 normally aspirated 3.4L and computer from the pick and pull, clean it up and have a nice cheap ride. Never had any problems after replacing the crank sensor, and even with 202k miles, it's still got a ton of power and gets better than 21 mpg at cruise. Too bad Ford didn't go the S/C route with the SHO - it would have been a killer car. Watch out for those Ponchos with the funny looking exhaust!

Quick Reply: 3rd made me look like a fool tonight....