5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How does your Fox feel when you drive it ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
scott351w

Default How does your Fox feel when you drive it ?

I was just wondering if someone could tell me how there Fox takes bumps on the Highway. Because mine almost rattles the glass out of the front of the car. When I hit a normal sized bump or pothole it hits hard sounds like a shotgun going off in the car it even knocked off my rearview mirror once, along with bouncing out the little ashtray in the center console. I just dont think thats normal. And when i go over multiple humps on the highway not that major in my other vehicle but in the Fox, It almost feels like your riding a bull the way it Rocks,jumps and slams. It has to look strange to people driving beside me. I dont have sub frame connectors, already replaced sway bar end links, one bad tie rod end on the passenger side, and the seal on the passenger side of the rack and pinion is leaking. Not sure what is going on but there seems to be alot of problems on the passenger side, even the ground effects infront of the tire is cracked in half not sure if its from the horible ride quality or what it was this way when i bought it, I noticed when I drove it home on the highway it seemed to have a rough ride. But after I replaced the tie rod end and got it aligned it seems to of gotten alot worse. Any Ideas and inputs of how your Fox drives so i can get an idea of how the OEM suspension should feel would be great.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Yours sounds a little rough man, on the off chance your exagerating, My auto 5.0 used to ride like a washboard on wheels, wheels with 40 series tires, when i went to 45 series tires it changed the way it road dramatically. My fathers stock 88 rides rough and makes lots of noise, when it hit a bump the whole car moves, he has a full kyb set of shocks (agx in the back) and they ride a little rougher but he likes to lift inside tires off the ground (stock ones). Since you have no sig i can't tell what you've got on your car (or what year it is). I can tell you i put cheap *** monroes on my 93 and it rides really smooth.

In summary, sounds like you have bad shocks. Go to on of the front wheels of your car and bounce the car (push down on it) it should move freely and stop when you stop bouncing it, the back you can push down in the middle of the hatch/trunk and check it the same way
Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

is your car lowered any
Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What suspension and tires does it have?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

My fox ride is a bit shaky as well. Especially at low speeds. There's a sweet spot where it all evens out and I get a nice steady vibration, but go faster shakes, go slower shakes. I don't now what else to do with mine. I've changed harmonic balancer, engine mounts, tires, wheels, balance, wheel alignment, tokico shocks (front and back), universal joints and still shake rattle and roll. The only thing I haven't tried is changing the drive shaft. I've been told that I could get a bad ride is that is warped in any way.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

if you're driveshaft isn't in its orginal balanced postion it will shake the whole car, try rotating the shaft and bolting it up ninety degrees different than what it is now, and the original post was about the ride quality over bumps, not the mystery vibrations that plague these cars
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 PM
scott351w

Sorry for the lack of info on the car i'll try to get a sig going with a pic of my car. I bought it from a guy who said he was the second owner. It is a completly original 1990 mustang gt. Only things I have done to it is some new weatherstriping and some sunroof work, along with new sway bar end links and a new inner tie rod on the passenger side. Just trying to get it handling/braking properly before I start putting money into performance/cosmetics. Its my daily driver for the time being. I will do a more thorough inspection of the spring/strut/shocks this weekend and mabe have it taken to a reputable repair shop and have them see if mabe the people that aligned it before jacked something up by not knowing how to properly align an older vehicle who knows. There are alot of idiots these days uknow.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 AM
scott351w

Alright got everything taken care of, The issue I was having was caused by an impropper alignment and a blown strut up front and one bent on the passenger side not alot just enough to affect the struts extension and retraction. So it was sticking a bit. Now that I have brand new Monroe
Sensa-tracs, and a *good* alignment It drives like a dream compared to the nightmare before. Well thanks guys for the help and suggestions.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Don't let people give you **** about the sensa-craps, i like mine
Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 AM
scott351w

Yea they make a world of difference and I just wanted something that would get me to work and back for minimum cost. Later I will worry about hooking up at the track, but thats another day and another dollar.

Quick Reply: How does your Fox feel when you drive it ?